size of food chickens eat

HennyPenny44

Songster
5 Years
Apr 3, 2019
Central New Jersey
I don’t know if this is related to my chickens’ age (18 weeks) but they don’t seem to like eating certain things due to their larger size that are supposedly suitable for chickens their age.

For example, I transitioned them from chick grit to Manna Pro chicken grit at 8 weeks of age and even though they’re full size chickens, I still see them picking through the grit to find smaller particles. I don’t think they’re consuming much of the stuff. I also bought them a big bag of whole corn after hearing that it’s good for keeping them warm through the winter and they try to break it up into smaller pieces which of course, fails. Then they start whining insistently that they want their other treat AKA scratch which has pieces of cracked corn in it that they gleefully eat up. They even tear apart insects they find if they’re larger such as grubs.

Can chickens at 18 weeks handle eating adult chicken grit and whole corn? I don’t know if them always eating crumbles rather than pellets has anything to do with this.

Last edited:
Are your chicks 8wks or 18wks?

It's "recommended" that Chick Grit be given until at least 18wks.
If they're 8wks, whole corn will be harder for them to digest (size) you may want to try cracked corn instead. Personally I'd stick with cracked corn for adults too.

Sorry, I meant my chickens are 18 weeks and I gave them adult chicken grit at 8 weeks old. As for the grit, the packages I’ve owned (DuMor and Manna Pro) suggest getting them off the chick grit onto the chicken grit at 8 weeks old.

As for the cracked corn, I heard that once corn is cracked, the nutrients become depleted quicker, so I bought the whole corn instead. But I will try it if they keep complaining about the whole corn.

Last edited:
Don't see why they couldn't handle adult grit and corn at 18 weeks.

As far as grit, this is why it's nice to offer them a variety of sizes and let them pick out what they want. I buy 2 different sizes of "hen grit" and put them both in the dispenser. They do seem to prefer the smaller size but the larger size is there if any of them want it, and grit is so cheap and doesn't spoil so I don't see the reason not to give the option.

Don't see why they couldn't handle adult grit and corn at 18 weeks.

As far as grit, this is why it's nice to offer them a variety of sizes and let them pick out what they want. I buy 2 different sizes of "hen grit" and put them both in the dispenser. They do seem to prefer the smaller size but the larger size is there if any of them want it, and grit is so cheap and doesn't spoil so I don't see the reason not to give the option.

I actually tried fermenting the whole corn and they gobbled it up today. It’s softer but not soft by any means. I will try to do it unfermented at some point. I think my chickens just aren’t accustomed to grains or seeds that big and maybe need to learn what they can or cannot handle. The biggest seeds they’d eaten up to when I introduced whole corn are watermelon seeds which are significantly smaller. I will try mixing up the grit, like you say. I see no food particles in their poop though so something is helping them digest their food.

I actually tried fermenting the whole corn and they gobbled it up today. It’s softer but not soft by any means. I will try to do it unfermented at some point. I think my chickens just aren’t accustomed to grains or seeds that big and maybe need to learn what they can or cannot handle.

Sounds like you have already found a solution to this. I was going to suggest a transition from cracked corn to whole corn by mixing in more and more whole corn in with the cracked corn. I know my chickens are creatures of habit and any change seems to take awhile to be accepted. But they should be able to handle whole corn at this age.

I found this BYC thread on cracked corn versus whole corn issue. Lots of opinions there that might be helpful.

As for the cracked corn, I heard that once corn is cracked, the nutrients become depleted quicker, so I bought the whole corn instead.

I have heard that, too. I read that whole corn still has the kernel which contains most of the nutrients whereas the cracked corn is mostly the husk broken up. Because the husk is broken, cracked corn also ages faster.

I have also heard that corn is mostly empty calories and should not be used as the main feed for your chickens. Just like chicken scratch is not a good main feed. Laying hens need protein and calcium in the commercial feed or equivalent.

I have heard that, too. I read that whole corn still has the kernel which contains most of the nutrients whereas the cracked corn is mostly the husk broken up. Because the husk is broken, cracked corn also ages faster.

I have also heard that corn is mostly empty calories and should not be used as the main feed for your chickens. Just like chicken scratch is not a good main feed. Laying hens need protein and calcium in the commercial feed or equivalent.

Yes, I've heard about the kernel misding in cracked corn but not sure if that's true. I only have 5 chickens so their food lasts for a while and I wouldn't want it to age as it sits like you say with the cracked corn. Well, I have a 50 pound bag of whole corn so they'd better eat it! I just plan to give it as a nightime treat to keep them warm through the frigid fall and winter nights.

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out.

Yes, I've heard about the kernel missing in cracked corn but not sure if that's true.

I know, a person hears lots of things and how can you really know if anything is true? What I have heard is that in some processes the kernel is removed from whole corn to make oil and the remaining cracked husk is what is bagged as cracked corn. I have no way to verify that. :idunno

Well, I have a 50 pound bag of whole corn so they'd better eat it! I just plan to give it as a nightime treat to keep them warm through the frigid fall and winter nights.

Thinking of this thread, I was watching some YouTube videos last night on feeding corn to chickens. A number of people feed corn at night like you plan on doing to keep them warm at night, but also first thing in the morning to give a quick carb fix for the birds to help them warm up for the day. I guess if it makes sense to give them some corn at night to help keep them warm, it makes just as much sense first thing in the morning to give them a jump start in carbs to warm them up.

Given that you have a 50 pound bag of whole corn for 5 birds, maybe you would be better off giving some corn to the girls twice a day as a treat and work through the bag a little faster. I have 10 chickens and try not to buy too much feed in advance because I don't want any to go bad just sitting in the garage.

We are getting our first snow of the winter today, and after reading your post and considering this issue, I think I will be picking up some whole corn as a carb treat twice a day to help keep my chickens warm. So, thanks for the thread.

Back
Top Bottom