size of nest box?

Fldeb

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 19, 2011
We are getting ready to build or get something to use as nest boxes for our RIR's and Black Star hens. We have access to milk crates and had planned on using them but are wondering if they are too small. The crates are 12" x 12" x 10.5" deep. What size should we use? We are planning on 4 boxes as we have 12 hens. Thanks!

That sounds like a good size .I believe mine is 12"x12"x12". Also i have 2 nest boxes for 8 chics . 4-5 chics to a nest so 4 will be fine for you.

Last edited:
Milk crates work great! toss them on the floor, throw a little grass or straw in, and call it good. 3 crates will be enough and you'll probably see they only use one

Last edited:
We had planned on laying them on their side and having two rows of two. Would it be better to just set them right side up or does it matter?

Set milk crates on the side; some people place a board across base to keep in bedding and eggs; if mounted you will want a landing board about 8 inches away from milk crate.

I found the milk crates too small for my girls
sad.png
so I improvised with a huge packing crate, dividing it into 4 nesting boxes. EE, RIR seem more comfy in larger nest box, or they use extra straw placed on top of packing crate for storage!!!! Open topped and about 16 x 26 . . . whatever works!!

Last edited:
ours are 12 x 12 x 12 inches... we were told to make them that size so that when they're laying they can't stand up and poop in the nesting boxes.... since ours are only a week old, I have no idea if this will hold true... in six months, I will know
big_smile.png

THe first next box I made was 12 x 12 x 12 for my EE hen. SHe looked cramped whith tail pushing against sides, so I decided the next nest boxes would be bigger. Made me feel better, not sure they really need it.
smile.png

Thanks for the picture, ibier 2000! I now realize that it won't work putting them on top of each other without a space between them. Your nest boxes are great, exactly what we were looking for. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom