Size of nest boxes?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by earthnut, Sep 19, 2007.

1. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    How big does a nest box have to be? What exactly to chickens need in a nest box? Does it need a top ? Thanks!

2. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

How big does a nest box have to be?

Mine are 12x12

What exactly to chickens need in a nest box?

I put pine shavings in mine other use straw

Does it need a top ?

I do not have a top on mine because they do like to sit on it and sometimes lay their eggs up there.

If you click on the link at the bottom of my post or my "Website" link you can see a picture of how mine looks.

Hey my computer behaved so I was able to pull up my photo for you....

Building it

[​IMG]

Painted and Installed

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  3. momoftwinsinwi

momoftwinsinwi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2007
    Rochester, WI
    I bought plastic vented vegetable stackable bins for nesting boxes from Wal-mart, they are about 12"x12" with a low front and higher back and sides....they were like $3 a piece

4. earthnut

earthnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Seattle, Cascadia
    Thanks for the photo, wooden pony! that's really helpful. That's an idea, momoftwinsinwi. I've also heard plastic buckets will work? Are the birds bothered by the roundiness of it?

5. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    My hubby made ours and I believe they are 18x12. He wanted to make sure they had room. Here are a couple pics of them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. greginshasta

greginshasta Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2007
    Mount Shasta, CA
    Quote:I'm trying to understand what the screened area is on the right side of the 2nd photo? Behind the post. I see the pop hole and waterer, but what's the rest of all that?

7. 2mnypets

2mnypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Galesburg, IL.
    Oh that's our brooder located inside the main coop. When the babies get too big for the brooder inside the house they get moved out there for the next stage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by