Size of Pen for Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AM-Farmer, Jul 19, 2008.

1. AM-Farmer

AM-Farmer New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    I recently purchased around 45 baby chicks from a hatchery and they are due to arrive Aug 15. I wanted to keep them in a pen until they are ready for the full size coop, but I don’t know how large of a pen I will need to keep them in. I have found plenty of info for the size of the coop and the chicken yard, but not a pen for baby chicks. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Michael

2. HenMamma

HenMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2008
    Emmet TWP, MI
    The first couple of weeks they need .5 sqft per chick. after that they will need 1sqft per chick. With more room as they grow larger.

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    AM-Farmer - for the first 3 days, I had mine in an old horse trough. Mine were a wee bit crowded at first, but when they turned 3 days I moved them into a larger area, as HenMamma indicated.

Make sure not to put them on shavings until they are at least 3 days old; use newspapers or paper towels, some folks use old towels because newspapers can be slippery. Good luck, and: [​IMG]

4. AM-Farmer

AM-Farmer New Egg

Jul 19, 2008
    Thank you both so much.[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I used paper towels for the first 3 weeks. It just made things easier. Then I added the pine shavings.
    I had 19 chicks... small card board box to begin with, then one 3 times as big. When they could jump out of that, they were ready to have the run of the coop (an 8X12) At 5 weeks I let them out into the run although a couple of them could squeeze through the wires.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by