1. cherrychicken

cherrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Santa Fe, New Mexico
    ok, I just need re assuring that I made the perch the right width. How wide should a perch be for standards?

2. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    First, are you asking about their roost where they sleep at night? Or the perch that is often put in front of the nest boxes to give them something to stand on before walking in?

I'm going to assume you mean their roost. So, then, do you mean like using a 2x4 and having the 4" side up for them to sit on?

Or, do you mean how long in feet for how many birds to be on? I think they say you should allow about 10" per bird, someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that.

Edited to add info.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2008
  3. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
  4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:What Chirpy said [​IMG] (Just adding another vote)

Pat

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with these posts. 2x4 with the 4" wider side up. makes it easier the the birds to roosts.

6. tvtaber

tvtaber Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Central CA
    We have 2x2s and they seem fine. We doi not have freezing conditions, though. The wider perchaes help their feet stay warmer in winter.

7. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I know I read somewhere that they shouldn't be too small but they also shouldn't be too big. I'm going to have to find that link....

8. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    This isn't the article I was talking about, but I found this at poultryone.com:

Roosts: Roosts should be made of smooth lumber or thin, sturdy pipes made of plastic or metal. Do not make the roosts too large or too small, otherwise the birds will not be able to grasp it well. Also, make sure there is enough roost space for all of the chickens.​

9. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Chickens do better if they can stand on a rooster rather than grasping it. Flat is much better than round and 3 1/2" (a 2x4) with the edges knocked off works great. I would never use metal pipe. The cold metal will actually cause your chickens to lose heat through their feet.

10. ChickaD

ChickaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2008
    central Vermont
    I'm surprised the birds would be able to get a good grip with a plastic or metal pipe. Living in a cold climate, I wouldn't advise metal, due to frostbite issues. [​IMG]

If using a post or branch, around 2" seems to be popular with the chickens. One "small" problem would be if you need to disinfect the roost for fighting mites, which can hide easier in bark or cracks in the wood. Just another reason for using smooth wood, such as 2 x 4's, I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by