size of run and coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by momofmany01, Mar 6, 2013.

1. momofmany01

momofmany01 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    I am thinking of purchasing 8 chicks soon. 2 barred rocks, 2 astralorps, 2 buff orpingtons, 2 of whatever else I find at tractor supply. What size should the coop and run be? They cant free range since we have a dog that would likely make them a snack. I will make a portable space for them to forage in addition to their run. My thoughts were a 4x8' coop and a 8x15 ft run since it will be against one side of our fenced garden. Is that sufficient?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Yes for 8 birds your figures are good but, the run will quickly turn to dirt even with 15 sq ft per bird. Build it as large as possible so, you won't be adding to it when chicken math happens lol
    When you are planning your coop - try to incorporate ease of cleaning which will make caring for them so much more enjoyable. ie poop board, removeable roost and easy to access nesting boxes. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  3. momofmany01

momofmany01 New Egg

Mar 4, 2013
    the fenced garden we are building is going to be 15x30. I could do the run against the long side instead. My idea was to have them in the run and in a portable enclosed range area during the summer and allow them to range in the fenced garden durring the late fall and winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by