Size of supermarket eggs

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by vortec, Apr 19, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    We went to the supermarket yesterday and I wanted to look at the size of the eggs out of curiosity. I was shocked that the sizes have shrunk considerably. It is hard to tell the sizes apart without reading the label. I did not see a single truely jumbo egg like the ones you get from a farm, but yet they charge prices for jumbos. Does anybody else see a problem with this?

vortec

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep and the medium and large eggs looks awfully alike!

3. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    It's a Jumbo Egg Ultra. It's condensed to save on packaging! [​IMG]

4. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    Funny!! I just thought i have been seeing things, but my "large" eggs i normally buy seem to have shrunk too. I don't have any laying hens at this time so I still have to buy eggs regularly.

5. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:lol. It certainly seems that way. If it weren't for all of these companies taking short cuts we might could get quality products that are actually the size they say they are.

vortec

6. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Two years ago my chicken's egg production was so low during the winter that I had to suck it up and buy store eggs. I got a carton of Extra Large eggs and when I got home they looked awfully small.
    I got my egg scale out and they weighed in at MEDIUMS!
    What a rip-off!

7. vortec

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:Exactly. I thought the same thing holding the jumbo eggs. The jumbo eggs from the farm that weigh in at jumbo are way larger then what they call jumbo at the market. It would be one thing if they cut the price and sold sub-jumbo eggs, but...they don't.

vortec

8. Marion

Marion Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    I have noticed the same thing but thought that it was just because I was used to my own eggs! I have been without layers since fall and can't hardly wait until my new flock starts laying some nice fresh "hen fruit"!

9. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    Legally 1 dozen eggs has to be at a certain weight. I don't think they can cheat that. However, when I fill my jumbo egg cartons for sale if there is any room to move I take the eggs out, all of the jumbos at the store "qualify" but aren't quite as snug in the carton as mine. If they have a medium in the large, it's still legal as long as the entire carton has the proper weight, without carton.

Most of my customers rave about the size of my eggs so I don't find it to be a negative that the store cartons are on the lighter side.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by