Size of Treats for Two-Week-Old Ducklings

I feel like it could be safe to bring them in some sod- especially if the grass isn't super long or thick. I took my ducklings outside with me for about an hour on most warm sunny days starting at about 2 weeks. I don't know if that was the safest option, but it was enriching for all of us and nobody had issues.

I think we could be careful with the thinking that if it happens in the wild it is safe and good. Wild ducklings die all the time. I am also guilty of this thinking and have to remind myself of this.
Good point. Thanks! I’ll give it a try. The sod I want to bring them is mostly clover anyway - it’s where their run will be. I just didn’t want them to choke on the stems. I want to take them out some soon, but we’re about to have a cold spell for a few days, so I may wait until that’s over. I’m trying to be cautious but not too overly cautious. Haha. I was cutting up some romaine lettuce for them yesterday and accidentally dropped a larger leaf into their brooder. One grabbed it and they played tagged with it for a few minutes, with whomever had it at the time taking a bite. The biggest one finally finished it off. I couldn’t get it away from them though!

Good point. Thanks! I’ll give it a try. The sod I want to bring them is mostly clover anyway - it’s where their run will be. I just didn’t want them to choke on the stems. I want to take them out some soon, but we’re about to have a cold spell for a few days, so I may wait until that’s over. I’m trying to be cautious but not too overly cautious. Haha. I was cutting up some romaine lettuce for them yesterday and accidentally dropped a larger leaf into their brooder. One grabbed it and they played tagged with it for a few minutes, with whomever had it at the time taking a bite. The biggest one finally finished it off. I couldn’t get it away from them though!
I am very lax on what I feed my ducklings. I don’t usually feed any super hard until three weeks but I will feed many things that are soft. At a week I dice it really small but not blended or pureed down. I do try to start off with things they might naturally forage for, grass, dandelions, parsley, split peas, and some broken up meal worms. At two weeks I have started adding some crushed oats, grains and the like. I try to keep this up as they grow because anything they don’t have regular exposure to tends to be scary.

This may be ridiculous, but I brought the clover sod in and there pulling it up the roots and eating it! Like huge pieces! They seem to love it but I panicked and am thinking about taking it back out. Or should I leave it in?

This may be ridiculous, but I brought the clover sod in and there pulling it up the roots and eating it! Like huge pieces! They seem to love it but I panicked and am thinking about taking it back out. Or should I leave it in?
It may be fine and there is no way to know until it isn't fine. Maybe someone has done it with 100 ducklings without issues but yours will be the 101st to choke. If you are worried you can take it out and snip up little pieces of clover for them.

I understand the internal conflict. I want to give my pets an enriched life with minimal risks as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help. I ended up taking the sod out, but leaving some dirt (after I took the earthworm out), and giving them some lettuce and berries instead. They seem fine, but it just freaked me out to see them walking around with long clover stems hanging out of their mouths! These are my first ducks - I feel like I baby them much more than I ever have my chickens in some ways, but I also have been letting them do some things people say not to let them do and they seem okay. I guess you just have to find your way...

Back
Top Bottom