Size question help!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicks, Apr 18, 2009.

1. chicks

chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Bennington Vermont
    Ok this is my first post and my husband and I are wanting to get 3 4-5 month old chickens. We have a great custom build insulated dog house that is 5x3 feet and 4 feet tall. I am wondering if my husband adds nest boxes off the back and we do all the windows and doors correctly, is this to small for 3 chickens? He is going to put it up on post and create a run out the front. Want any info from all the pro's out there. We would like to get Barred rock chickens. Thanks V[​IMG]

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    No that is not too small for three birds..good luck.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Sounds good to me [​IMG] Make sure to have enough ventilation, including some that can be used in wintertime.

Have fun,

Pat

4. desertgirl

desertgirl Roo Magnet

Mar 29, 2009
    Albuquerque,NM
    I'm very new, but in my research I readyou need 4 square feet per bird in the coop, 10 square feet per bird in the run.Hope this helps!

5. chicks

chicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2009
    Bennington Vermont
    Thank You , my husband and i talked about it over dinner and he has already decided to expand on this. Take out back wall and go out from there. should become 5x 5. hope this works.. There will be more questions to come from us newbies!!!!

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    [​IMG]

You will be glad of the extra space, even if you don't get more chickens!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by