Size really depends on genetics?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by roosterT, Jul 30, 2011.

1. roosterT

roosterT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Hey guys, this is my first post on this HUGE forum.[​IMG]

I just wanted to know if the rooster size and long neck depends on the genes they have ?....i really want to make my 2 roosters big because my neighbour got 1 white rooster which is way bigger and buffed up with a long neck and it keeps on bullying my 2 rooster which is a bit more thinner and shorter one of them is red and the other is black. So the white rooster controls the group which is not good. I got 5 chicks right now in a box in my room and they said the mother had mate with big and strong roosters so let's hope the outcome is great!. If it's not genetic dependant, what should i feed them to make them big pushing their stomach forward! ?. And also what i have noticed, long time ago my grandmother used to keep broiler roosters outside and they became huge and dominant, they even ran after me.

Thanks in advance mates [​IMG].

2. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Yup, depends on genetics. Nothing you can feed them that will fix that. You can make them fatter but I don't think that is what you are looking for. Feed the chicks chick starter to begin with and keep them warm in a brooder.

3. roosterT

Jul 30, 2011
    Alright mate, the chicks that i brought is 3 weeks old and is really big compared to what i had in the past. Am pretty sure they'll be the way i want them and yes, i am feeding them chick starter.

4. sjarvis00

sjarvis00 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Shawnee, OKlahoma
    Quote:from experience time of year, feed and environmental conditions can stunt otherwise large breeds to be smaller however you can not make one larger that does not have the genetic potential for size. very early spring hatch birds do tend to be slightly larger due to better growing conditions commonly present.

5. roosterT

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok but wait, from who will the chicks get the genetics?..from the father or the mother?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Both.....[​IMG]

Edit...

Except Sex linked genes like barring, Choc, Id...

But size should be a polygenic trait so both parent will affect the out come of the chicks...

7. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Rooster T, are u from Australia? I don't want to be know for being a profiler, butttt, I love accents from other countries and on more then one occasion you used the word mate (which by the way love the word, more people should use it, its a friendly word). (LOL) I wish I could answer your question, but I have no silkies....... I just want to say Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Michele

8. racuda

racuda Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    North Carolina
    If you want a rooster that can beat up your neighbor's, get an oriental game rooster! Of course, he would dominate and probable kill your two...so you may have to rehome them.

9. roosterT

Jul 30, 2011
    Ok thanks i will try getting big chickens and roosters together in the early start of summer.

10. roosterT

Jul 30, 2011
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Rooster T, are u from Australia? I don't want to be know for being a profiler, butttt, I love accents from other countries and on more then one occasion you used the word mate (which by the way love the word, more people should use it, its a friendly word). (LOL) I wish I could answer your question, but I have no silkies....... I just want to say Hello and welcome to the forum.
    Michele

Lol no, not from australia but from Mauritius....search for it on your Atlas.

see you around [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by