size requirement

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by daddy_roo, Dec 14, 2011.

1. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    I was talking to a guy today that had chickens. I met him at walmart. Never before in my life had I ever met this guy. He just came up to me and started talking. He found out that I had a few chickens, and boy was it on... [​IMG]... He wanted me to see all his chickens. So he invited me to his house to see them. I had nothing better to do, as I was at walmart making my" if I had a lot of money wish list." SO we left and went to his home. Once we got there I heard about 7-8 differant roosters crow, ranging from the high squeel of the banty to the deeper crow of a leghorn. We walked behind his house to the pens, and he had about 10 differant types of chickens, buff seabright banty, golden seabrights, black spanish, black sex link and a few others. He wanted to show me his 2 week RIR's and his golden comets. I was looking at the golden comets and he asked if I wanted to buy some of them. I said well I dont have any money on me right now but those do look like some good birds. He says well that will be ok, how many would you want if you were to buy some. I said depends on price. Long story short he asked me if I would be willing to trade a little work for 10of the 8-10 week old golden comet pullets. Of course I agreed. He had a full size chevy pick up truck bed full of bags of feed. He told me if I would unload that feed I could have 10 of them. On top of that I could pick out the pullets myself. So I started unloading his feed. It took me about 15 min to unload it all and get it to where he wanted it. At the end of it I picked out my 10 pullets and we put them in a large card board box. After the fact I told him I would have to configure a pen for them real quick when I got them home. He asked if I wanted one he had made. It was 7 foot long 3ft wide and 4 feet tall. I asked how much. he says 25 bucks if you want it. So he agreed to load it up and bring it to my house for 30. I load it in his truck and we take off for my house. We got to the house and got the cage in my greenhouse and he loved my set up. So we went to town and I pulled out his 30 and after all that he absolutely refused to take any money. Told me to take that money and go buy them pullets some feed. I tried everything I could to get him to take my money but he was percistant on not taking the money. So i went to the feed mill where I usually get my feed and bought 25 bucks worth of feed, and one bale of straw for them. It is nice to know that there are still people out there that want to help everyone else first. Has any one else ever had this happen? Also is the gage I mentioned above large enough for 14 pullets? [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  2. Egiroux

Egiroux Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    Durham, ME
    Wow, talk about being in the right place at the right time. Lucky you!

3. daddy_roo

daddy_roo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Kentucky
    It was like hitting the chicken lottery.. lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by