Size suggestions needed for a grow out pen

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Tony, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi all,
    What would be a good sized grow out pen and coop/house for about 70 chicks, I`m fortunate enough to have help this weekend to build something. BTW, the chicks are all standards no bantams.
    Orpingtons,leghorns and andalusians. thanks Tony

2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    grow out pens for chicks.i built 3 4ftw by 6ftl by 2fth brooder pens on legs 2ftt.an each pen will hold 25 chicks from babies till 5 or 6wks old.now for your henhouse id build like a 25 by 25 henhouse.an would make a 25 by 100 henyard.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If the chickens can spend most of their time outdoors, 4 sq ft per bird (once they reach adult size) would be like a 10x25 ish house; plus a run of 6-10 sq ft per bird (at adult size) would be from 10x40 or equivalent up to 20x35 or equivalent.

If they won't be able to spend most of their time outside in a dry pen, you will prolly want to make the house (coop) larger unless you wish to court factory-farm conditions including pecking and cannibalism and so forth.

(edited to add: it depends how long you'll be leaving them in there, of course... if they'll be going elsewhere when they are 3/4 grown you could probably go with somewhat more birds in somewhat less space)

Good luck,

Pat

Last edited: Apr 5, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by