size

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by only one lay, Feb 4, 2009.

1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    Wife would like to know who lays the largest eggs?( And no the town will not allow me to keep a ostrich )

2. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    Chicken eggs size. I have Isa browns that at 30 weeks old lay eggs that weigh 30 oz per doz which equals jumbo size.

3. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Emu??? as far as chickens I think some leghorns, I heard that the egg gets bigger after the second molt as well.

4. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Proportionate to body size, I believe that it is the Kiwi . . .

It should be proportionate to body size if there is justice in the chicken-keeper's world. However, you will probably get larger eggs from the production strains. The commercial outfits are not interested in having much feed used for body maintenance needs.

I would go with the larger sized birds of those strains if'n you want jumbo eggs.

Steve

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    My brahma hens are the largest but a comet half their size lays a bigger egg. check out the henderson chook tables on the internet. It will give you an idea of the pure breeds but most of the leghorn and hybrids lay bigger and more eggs for the first two years. I'd rather have a layer lay 4 times a week or 3 than have it give out so quickly with its laying. Others can lay really well for about 3 or 4 years and some lay right on into their 5 or 6th year. Jean

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Delawares lay huge jumbo eggs, then sexlinks are known for extra large eggs.

7. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    My sex-links are laying JUMBO++ eggs.

8. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    OEGB!!...I just like to champion the cause...[​IMG]...not real big but cool factor should count!

9. digitS'

digitS' Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    ID/WA border
    Isa Browns and Comets are in the hybrid sex-link group. - Feathersite

Henderson doesn't list these hybrids but he's got good info on quite a few breeds. - Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart

Steve's digits

edited to add: the California Grays and California Whites are also supposed to lay very large eggs.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  10. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    KIWI!!! ???? hahahahahahahaha:lau:gig
    yeah but some how i think they will want more than ONE egg a year!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by