1. kdjc

kdjc New Egg

Jan 31, 2012
    Hello,
    I have decided to buy 6 chicks in the spring what size of coop do i need to build. These will all be hens as all we want are the eggs. I plan on having a run for them plus allow them garden access to my garden after we have harvested what we want. Room isn't an issue just don't want to go overboard for 6 hens.

2. saltnprepper

saltnprepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Go bigger than you think you need. Everyone seems to add to their flock or wish they had more room

3. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I have six hens and like you it is all I wanted and I just want them for the eggs. The run and coop I built for them is 8 feet x 16 feet. The coop is raised so they use the space under the coop as run area. The coop itself is 4 X 8. I have found that the coop is plenty big enough for the six. The coop has three nest boxes and that has been fine. Their roosts are large and long enough so that all six roost at the same level. The chickens only go into the coop to sleep and lay eggs. If I could have I would have made the run area larger but I am not sure it really makes any difference because no matter how large you make it they always want to go out for a bit and free range. I try to let mine out for an hour or so every other day. They do not go far when they are out and I am always watching the. Getting them back is easy as long as they can see I have a bowl full of some kind of treat they will follow me back into the coop.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. 1keegan

1keegan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Capvin-
    Do you have a set of plans for your coop that you'd share?

5. berniezahm

berniezahm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    I've noticed that the coop Capvin built is very similar to the coop goody2230's Coop located on the coop tab at the top aof the page in the small coop section.
    Best Regards,
    BernieZahm

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  6. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    Actually I copied this coop from one that is on this site. Just go to the Coops tab on the top of the page and when you click onit then go to the medium size coops. There you will see the coop titled "Brounii's coop" and if you click on that you will see the Triple C coop with complete pictures of every step of the build. You will note that I copied it almost exactly.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    If you're able, do go a little larger than you think you'll need. Remember, if you build the coop well it will last for years. During that time, your flock is likely to change...you might get more chickens, decide you need a space to separate some birds from the flock or decide you'd like to add some 'enrichment' to the coop and run. Me, I built with 4 sq ft per hen plus external nestboxes. Turns out I have a hen that loves to lay an egg from the highest roost. So, I added another nest box inside the coop. That took up space I hadn't planned on using. My point is that, plan as you might, you might need to adapt your design. Having extra space to do that allows for flexibility.

8. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY

x2

I could not have said it better!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by