Sizing my coop project

Baker Farm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 23, 2012
Ontario, CANADA
Hey,
I'm planning out my coop design and wanted to "peck" your brains a bit.
I'm planning on starting out with 6 hens, but dont want to build too small because I can forsee myself wanting to probably increase to 12 hens if all goes well. I've read 3 square feet per bird, but if the nest boxes are extra on top of the 6x6 coop, this should allow for more space in the coop.
I originally had planned on a 4 x 6 coop, but have now been thinking of a 6 x 6. If I do 6x6 with the nest boxes built outside of the main 6x6 footprint so I can access them from outside, how many chickens could I house without it being too crowded? I'm thinking of breeds like Rhode island reds and bard rocks.
Also, for 12 hens, how many nest boxes should I build? I was thinking 6 down one of the 6' walls? or is that too many?

Thanks a lot! I'm glad to have access to the combined knowledge of people on this forum.

Kyle

You'll hear a lot of people on here say 3-4 sq. ft per chicken, with the more room the better. 6x6=36/4=9 large breed chickens.

As for nesting boxes, you only need one for every 3-4 hens. I have 20 chickens and they all use 2 boxes, but it is good to have at least some extra. I would say 4 nesting boxes would be fine

Last edited:
I'd say 9 chickens is pretty good then. And i was planning on a 12 x 12 fenced yard. (including the space under the raised coop).
This should be plenty for 9 chickens based on the 10 square feet per bird thing.
Thanks!

I believe most say 4 square foot Per chicken but that is coop space not including the run as .. you have to think will it be too tight when they are locked in . Crowding can cause more fights and sometimes damage to the Chickens. Some make do with less some build palaces for their Chickens . I Like to have extra boxes than I need as they are cheap and easy to make . So I have 8 in one of my houses that usually only has around 20 hens .. But I know that's more than needed and even with so many to pick from I have come in to see them fighting over the same box and even sharing ; ) I also put two long roosts in as many do seem to like to spend more time roosting then in the boxes at night .

is there any particular size that would be cost effective for building materials? ie. would it be cheaper to build a 4x8 because 2x4's come in 8 footers, and sheeting comes 4x8? I know a 6x6 offers more square footage, I'm just trying to simplify things and keep it all affordable. I've even considered 8x8... that would give me lots of room in case I decide to get more chickens later, but it may cost a bit more than a 6x6. But really, how much more? maybe not too much.
Open to suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom