Sizzle fans - new list & site

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sarahssizzles, Nov 16, 2008.

1. sarahssizzles

sarahssizzles Out Of The Brooder

Nov 7, 2007
    Cave Creek
    I have started a site & list for anyone interested in the breeding of Sizzles. If you are unaware of this new breed it is a cross of Silkies & Frizzled Cochins or Polish (or perhaps another frizzled breed) It is my intent of offer a place for those interested to share information, experiances & stock if thye have it. Please feel free to dieminate this information to other lists. Hope to meet you there.

SarahsSizzles

http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/Sizzles/

2. Hi Sarah!
    Cochin x Silkie crosses are fun and beautiful.

[​IMG]
    Lisa

Last edited: Nov 17, 2008
  3. TexasJoe

TexasJoe Taking a break

Mar 3, 2008
    put me down as a sizzle fan [​IMG]

4. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    I'm a huge sizzle fan!

5. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Sizzles are a great little bird but I would have to disagree that they are a cross of anything other than a Frizzled Cochin/Silkie. Sizzles are being developed as a breed that meets the standard of a Silkie with the only exception being feathers. Sizzles should have barbed feathers. The breed will come in either smooth or frizzled. Since you should not breed a frizzle to frizzle you need the smooth birds to produce healthy frizzled birds. A frizzled Polish is just that a "Frizzled Polish"

Frizzle is a gene that can be introduced in any breed. It is most common in Cochins but there are Frizzled Rocks and Faverolles. Not all of these birds are Sizzles, just a frizzled version of any breed that someone has introduced a frizzle gene.

Much like Showgirls, breeders are working on Sizzles breeding true. That would mean that the birds are a cross at the beginning but then are bred back to the same cross until the desired characteristics are consistent.

I have F-4 Sizzles in my program. It will most likely take 7 or 8 possibly more generations to perfect the breed.

6. sarahssizzles

Nov 7, 2007
    Cave Creek
    Hello Jimnjay. I hope you'll join the Sizzle list and share your experience because most of us are new to the breed & I for one have lots of questions.
    For example, I have been hearing a discussion on another list that Sizzles must have a soft or Silkie type feather to be proper. To me that is a frizzled Silkie but, no one answered that question when I asked it. I also asked ..who is deciding that? Is there a "parent" group formed already? Is there a group trying to get them recognized as a breed? Is there already a standard? So far..no answers. Please share what you know on these subjects.

FYI, I have also heard of folks who have brought frizzled polish into their breeding to improve their crests, which is why I stated it like I did.
    Also, I just finished reading an article which is in the file section on the Sizzle list of one persons perspective of breeding frizzle to frizzle. It differs from everything else I've heard but, it does cause one to wonder.
    I definitely need to do more research!

Hope you'll join the list. This is exactly the kind of conversation I'd like to see there.

Sarah

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Sarah, I will join, and you are right a group like that will help clarify the quality and potential standards for the breed when they get that far along in development. There are no standards at this point and I guess a Sizzle is anything someone who is breeding the frizzle bird with a crest wants it to be. I am one of several others that have been striving for 4 years to prefect my line of Sizzles. My Sizzles are being bred to the Silkie Standard except for feather type. They have been shown at various shows and my avatar bird was best variety at a show here in Alabama last month. The problem with developing any breed or even introducing a new breed to this country is the heaps of controversy that occurs on message boards and that is something I hate and want to avoid at all costs. I can only relate what I know and what I have been doing as far as breeding Sizzles for these 4 years. The others I know are doing the same thing. The reason for the name Sizzle is simply that Frizzled Cochin Silkie Cross was to long. Like the Labradoodle or other designer dogs, Sizzle seemed to be catchy and it stuck.

Some articles I have read do discuss breeding Frizzle to Frizzle, as only 50% of the birds from such a breeding will be over frizzled. The Idea being that the best frizzling occurs from such a mating and they would do that only once and use the frizzle from that mating for the foundation stock for their program. I have read in some genetic articles that there is evidence that the double copy of the Frizzle gene causes organ problems as well. I feel there are enough people out there with Sizzle or Frizzled Cochins to avoid having Lethal genes in the gene pool. You find the same sort of issue with Pied Cockatiels or even Merle Australian Shepherds.

I can see introducing a Polish to improve the crest but using a great Silkie should work just as well. I would probably choose a Sultan instead because for every bird you add without feathered legs you have more genes that need to be bred out. Basically if you start with a Frizzled Polish, you can get a Frizzled bird with a crest but it is not the same. Cochins are used because the temperament and personality of the Silkie and Cochin is so similar.

These are just a few thoughts on the topic I thought I would share here for those that are interested.

8. chickn

chickn Away for a bit

Apr 15, 2008
    New Hampshire
    i have joined

9. sarahssizzles

Nov 7, 2007
    Cave Creek
    Everyone, please feel free to spread the word about the list anywhere there might be Sizzle fans. We need to come together for the betterment of our breed. I'm not one for politics (had enough of that when I showed dogs) but, I do believe reasonable adults can find solutions to any problems that arise. For the sake of our "kids" we can learn from each other and make them better!

Jayne, so glad your coming over to the Sizzle side. I'm really loving the discussions here so far! Lets get more folks in on it!

Sarah

10. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

I joined the group last night. I own only 1 sizzle right now, and I hatched it from eggs I received from jimnjay. Her name is "Sparky" and there's a thread on here in her honor. She's an absolute delight. I hope to get a lot more just like her...she's my little darling! I can't wait to learn more about this endearing breed. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by