Sizzle,frizzle, smooth?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shellikirbey, Jan 1, 2017.

1. shellikirbey

shellikirbey Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    These three chicks are from the same hen that is a frizzled partridge silkie and i have her over a partridge silkie rooster.im wanting to learn more on identifying the difference as chicks.im thinking the oldest chick is a smooth sizzle,the lightest smaller chick is frizzled silkie and the last smaller brown is a sizzle cause of its feathers are so thin but still curl a little[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    [​IMG]

3. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Looks to me like you have one smooth, one frizzled non-silkie-feathered, and one silkie-feathered smooth bird.

1 person likes this.
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

I'd second that.

And just cause terminology like that bugs me.....

when you're describing animal matings, the male is over the female. So, you'd say you have a partridge silke rooster over the frizzled partridge silkie hen, or say the hen is under the rooster.

No females on top breeding terminology [​IMG]

6. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Lol..yea that is correct actually..but who cares..it all makes the same chick..and i live on a farm so ive seen it all..and termonology doesnt bother me in the the least.and actually she does jump on the rooster..the only chicken ive ever raised to do this in all the 20 years ive hatched poultry.But she jumps on the rooster all the time and then he jumps on her..I have two rabbit does who do the same thing.Sometimes ppl get bothered way to easy.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2017
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well, in this case it did not matter which bird was which parent. But, in chickens, there are sex linked genes where which parent is which is critical. So, I just like to clear up terminology for newbies who may be reading threads later. I'm not bothered, just like to be sure new folks have correct information.

1 person likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    x2 donrae

9. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Yes i do see what you mean..i miss wrote it..im glad u correct thimgs tho cause im trying to get this frizzle thing so i want it right..thanks..

10. shellikirbey

Feb 17, 2016
    Eldorado Springs, Mo
    Yea my undetstanding is as long as you have a smooth to a sizzle it will be ok.im new with trying to get sizzles tho..does it make a diffetence if the rooster is the sizzle or not..but im wanting to make sure i understand the different feathering to make sure i keep the best kind of feathering to breed back out of the chicks i get..and this has helped..some i had right and some i didnt..i wasnt thinking that the little one with silkie feathering was smooth cause it looks like the fuzz on his back flips up just barely..its hard to see..i dont remember my true silkies doing that as chicks but that was my first silkies tho too..does smooth with silkie feathering mean it will look llke a regular silkie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by