Sizzle Gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BerrytangleFarm, Jan 31, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Okay experts, I need opinions. Here's our 4-week-old Sizzle. I realize there is no certainty until it crows or lays an egg, but, up until now, I've been almost sure Peeps was a hen (behavior, rapid feathering, etc.). I've noticed this week that the comb is coming in pink, though. I'm getting the impression from features, that the cochin aspects will be taking over the Silkie characteristics (only 4 and lighter toes), so I wasn't surprised that the head feathers are taking a bit longer to come in (they're there, just filling out this week).

What do you think??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    TYTT (Too Young To Tell)

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    Very cute chick! I have no idea which sex though!

4. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I'm gonna take a wild stab and say cockeral. Because it has a single comb and my cochins are 12 weeks and the pullets STILL have no red in thier combs. I could see the difference between pullets and cockerals in my cochins by 5 weeks. Hopefully I'm wrong! [​IMG]

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    That's a lot of comb on that itty bitty bird! What a cutie!! I couldn't commit to one or the other, just too young IMO.

6. Bird Collector

Bird Collector Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2009
    North Carolina
    I will chime in and say boy because I have a 12 week old frizzle with just a little more comb than yours. Let me add he will be very cute...and a chick magnet [​IMG]

7. critterranch

critterranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2010
    Red Creek, New York
    i would say roo thats how he looks to me.

what color did he come from i am thinking about doing a red frizzle to my blue and black silkie hens. what colors would i get?

8. BerrytangleFarm

Quote:Yeah, I'm hearing roo from all sides. NOOOOO!!!!!!!

There is a TINY pimple of a spur, and I mean TINY. Couldn't see it until I ran my finger over the leg. Is that a good sign????

I got the eggs from eBay. They were a Frizzle mix, so no idea of the colors.

9. BerrytangleFarm

Quote:[​IMG]

This is the most adorable chick, I will say. Peeps has been babied, obviously, being an only hatchling. Held and cuddled from day one. Extremely friendly and personable. And, yes, beautiful.

BUT I DON'T WANT A ROO, I WANT A HEN!!!! [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    All chickens have spur bumps (just as all mammals have nipples). By 10-12 monhts the males' spurs will being developing. Not a good early indicator of gender, as they are one of the last things to develop, And in some breeds the hens also have spurs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by