1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sizzle Rooster with a VERY RED Comb

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 1 Critter Camp, Feb 14, 2015.

1. 1 Critter Camp

1 Critter Camp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

His parents are a grey sizzle hen and a partridge rooster. I think the hen has a little red comb but really had not noticed how red because it is so covered up with fluff!
    He has black spots on his comb.
    I am trying to sell him because I know I can't breed him back to my sizzle project but he is so cool looking... I can't decide how to best use him... I do have a solid black sizzle smooth feathered hen... would produce chicks with darker combs?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Is he just coming into maturity? His comb color looks good to me. Don't know about the black spots, could be pecked by another bird.

3. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I thought silkies are supposed to have a more of a purple/mulberry color comb... maybe his will darken?
    From what I can tell, the black spots are pigmentation... They are embedded in his wrinkles... who knows but I think is color is interesting just not sure how to breed him.
    I even thought about getting a seabright but I don't have room to start a whole new breed.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    You could breed him back to a Silkie. Most of the resulting chicks should have darker combs, keep those and sell any that don't show proper color.

5. 1 Critter Camp

Aug 26, 2013
    Kentuckky
    I have a really "blue" looking silkie... I have not taken a picture yet but I think it is what is considered blue. It is a super light grey, well it has the sizzle gene from its mother but its feathering is silkie feathering
    I wonder what kind of cool colors I would get...
    thanks
    I might do just that because I do think he is super cool looking!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by