Sizzle vs Frizzle pictures please, I don't see the difference...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by secuono, Jan 1, 2011.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I really don't see the difference, so can someone post pics of them?

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    Sizzles have a top knot and probably 5 toes whereas most Frizzles have smoother looking heads and 4 toes.
    My website has 2 pages....Frizzles and Sizzles. Go under Breeds and you will see the links.

3. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I'm not seeing any difference. One is spiked, the other just looks like a silkie...

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    You didn't read the info with each pic.

A Frizzle is a Cochin with frizzled feathers. To get a Sizzle the Cochin would be crossed with a Silkie.

5. hoppy

hoppy I'm not all fluff

May 5, 2007
    central maine
    I would say a sizzle has silkie "type" with curled feathers and a frizzle really can be any breed with the curly feathering although cochins are most common.
    this is my sizzle "flower"
    she has silkie type and 5 toes but has a straight comb- I am crossing her with a silkie male in hopes to get the walnut comb and frizzled feathers
    [​IMG]

6. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    Frizzled neked neck roo. ( I think) [​IMG]

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Ok, frizzle is curled spiked feathers. What about sizzle? Is sizzle just more smooth, more silkie-like with fewer spikes/curls?
    Or is it just a name for a mix of two, w/e chicken mixed with a silkie would be called sizzle?
    I have two chicks, one is supposed to be sizzle, the other frizzle. But both seem to be more silkie with a few feathers slightly curled/spiked.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    When a Silkie has frizzle-type feathers, we call it a Sizzle. Here's a pic of our Sizzle cockerel, displaying the top knot.

[​IMG]

All other breeds with frizzle-type feathers, though most commonly cochin, are Frizzled. Here's a pic of our little Frizzle cochin pullet.

[​IMG]

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Quote:Huh! Well mine look nothing like that, lol. But they are Cochins with silkie feathers...or something..I'm so confused, lol.

10. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I believe that a Sizzle is a Silkie with non- silkied, frizzled feathers. It would be a first generation cross between a Silkie and a frizzled bird of some breed. Yours seems to be results of Sizzles crossed back to a Silkie. They have retained the frizzle gene, and they have gained a hookless gene. I know of a breeder who calls them "Frizkies".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by