Sizzle with poo stuck to her rump

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by portianaomi, Jan 21, 2010.

1. portianaomi

portianaomi Out Of The Brooder

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    I noticed this yesterday and had hoped she would clean herself up, but she didn't. She started laying eggs on 01.05.2010 and hasn't laid an egg since the 15th. She is also acting a little lathargic. Any suggestitions?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    give her a warm (not hot) bath to clean the poo off and see if you can feel an egg in her abdomen.
    if you can feel an egg, then massage towards vent while in the warm bath 45-60 mins.
    Wrap in towel for 15 mins to help wick water from feathers, and/or blow dry on low, put hand between blow dryer and hen every few minutes to ensure that it is warm not hot. Keep warm and comfortable.

Give electrolytes in water, 2-3 drops PolyViSol (non iron) in beak. crush a Tums (unflavored) add to drinking water or scrambled egg or disolve and give in beak.

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Jan 21, 2010
  3. portianaomi

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    10. Thanks for the suggestions! I have put her in my bathroom on a warm, damp towel. I am keeping the room at >80 humidity and around 78 degrees F. This is per the suggestion made by my avian vet. I have an appointment with this vet tomorrow to get Phoebe (the hen) checked out. The vet said it could be an egg bind, but maybe something else. I'll write an update when I find out. Cheers!

4. countrychics

countrychics Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2010
    south boston virginia
    feeding your birds oatmeal once a week, or month depending on the frequecy of the problem,,,, is a good preventative way to avoid this.. as well as grit and shell..hope shes:hit ok soon!!!!!!!!!

5. portianaomi

Oct 20, 2009
    West Sacramento
    Thanks guys! I will take your advice about the oatmeal for sure - they'll probably love it. [​IMG]
    I took Phoebe to the vet and she said that the chicken just went broody after only having 8 eggs and the poo was from her sleeping in the nest. WOW! I can't believe I paid $50 to hear that! C'est la vie I guess... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by