Sizzle X Silkie = ?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CreamBruelle, Oct 1, 2016.

1. CreamBruelle

CreamBruelle Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2016
    I have a sizzle chick but it's body is more of a Cochin. The only Silkie it has in it is its comb and I'm wondering if I breed him with a Silkie hen if the offspring will have more of the true sizzle characteristics.

Thanks!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Can you describe the Sizzle better? What's it's ancestry (1 generation CochinxSilkie cross, or multigenerational? How many?) Is its skin dark? What kind of comb? Five toes? Feathered legs? Crest? Beard? Got any photos? Is it flat, silkie, or frizzle feathered?

3. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

He's 1st generation, has more of a pinkish tone to his skin, has a walnut comb, 4 toes on one foot and 5 on the other, feathered feet, has a Silkie crest and no beard (some of my silkies don't have a beard) hes got frizzle feathers

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    I've also got this other sizzle that is quite a bit younger than my other one

[​IMG]

First generation, He/she's got more of a Silkie skin color, not quite sure on the comb type (still to small), 5 toes on each foot, feathered feet, has a Silkie crest, has a beard, and he/she's got frizzled feathers

This sizzle was more of an accidental hatch so I'm not sure if the parents are the same as the other one.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  5. CreamBruelle

Sep 26, 2016
    So I'm guessing on both of these, I should breed back to a silkie to get even more silkie characteristics besides the feather type?

6. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

If you can, ditch the cockerel. He's not very good and in my opinion using him would only set your program back. Better to hatch again and select a better cockerel.

The pullet looks like a nice start. I would suggest crossing her back to the best Silkie cockerel you own.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by