skeleton chick but improving

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bananakey, May 27, 2016.

1. bananakey

bananakey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2014
    Denver
    Last weekend I got a polish chick and copper marans. the polish chick died Monday (impacted crop I believe) leaving my marans (we've named Bess) alone. She was distressed but a dog toy to cuddle with seemed to help in the interim.
    Yesterday I went and got another polish chick (I really want a polish). She ran from the farm store guy as they usually do when when being caught, but once getting home I noticed she didn't move much. Last night I had to place her under the brooder because she wouldn't walk under there with Bess.
    She was pretty lethargic this morning so I put a drop of nutri drench down her before work. Surprisingly she was alive when I got home. I picked her up to force her to drink some and noticed that she is just a skeleton. Once you really start feeling around, she is nothing but bones. I don't handle them too much the first day since they are already stressed so I didn't notice yesterday. Also found her crop empty so she hadn't eaten all day.

I slightly cooked an egg and force fed her some. that seemed to perk her up a little. That and some additional heat lamp action. I mixed some chick crumbles in with the rest of the egg and she managed to eat enough to fill her crop....and get egg all over her poor face
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I think she was lethargic because she was starving to death. I'm glad she's starting to come around. she's walking around a little more but no where near as active as Bess (that little maran is a hoot by the way. crazy woman)

So now the question: why wasn't she eating? Is there an underlying issue or was she for some reason just unable to eat at the farm store (bully chicks? temperature not right? I'm not sure what all could cause that. Also, I'm afraid that even if she starts eating regularly and her crop works and all, ses so malnourished could her body give up before she gets enough nutrition in her.
    I don't want to lose her because Bess is so happy to have a companion again. :(

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    There's really no way at this point to know why she wasn't eating.
    Could have been any of the reasons you mentioned above or the crumbles could have been too big for her to eat among other things. A lot of times when feed stores get chicks in they do not take time to dip each chicks beak into water and show them the food, so some chicks may not recognize food or water.
    If they were mine, I would make a wet mash for them both to eat for at least a week or so (mine are almost a year old and still love wet food-they think it's an awesome treat). Mix a little water with the chick starter to about the consistency of oatmeal. They should gobble it up. (Leave the dry chick starter available as well) .As she grows she should be able to eat larger pieces. Tap/peck at the food and water like a Mama hen would this will encourage exploration and let her know she needs this.

Just keep an eye on her, hopefully she just had not learned to eat/drink, if that is the case, she should start gaining weight and improving fairly quickly.

3. bananakey

Jun 22, 2014
    Denver
    I'm starting to suspect she might be blind. She does not flinch at all when something moves near her eye. She never talks at Bess until Bess has bumped in to her, and she falls over a lot. :/

4. azjustin

azjustin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2016
    Tucson, AZ
    Keep on the nutri drench, or any vitamin/electrolyte solution. We've had day olds that were blind as a bat, but are perfectly fine after a few days of good vitamins. It's not a guarantee, but sometimes works out.

Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  5. bananakey

Jun 22, 2014
    Denver

I think you're right. Seems like she is starting to see now. previously when I tried to make her drink from the nipple waterer, she would try to peck it and miss completely. This morning she drank a bunch on her own. She is also walking under the eco-glow on her own without me having to shove her under there. lol.

She's not the best eater still. She ate a good amount of wet chick crumbles last night, but needed a lot of encouragement. I'm actually impressed with how hard this poor thing is fighting to survive. We are being cautiously optimistic for her odds. :)

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Sounds promising.
    Thanks for the update, keep us posted[​IMG]

7. bananakey

Jun 22, 2014
    Denver
    I am more surprised than anyone, but this little polish chick is doing great!! :D In addition to being starved and so malnourished she couldn't see, but she also had a crop that wouldn't empty one morning after she started eating on her own. We've managed every problem as they've come along and despite everything she is doing so good now. Little fighter.
    She can see, is eating and drinking on her own, and has taken to perching on the side if the eco-glow. She's even attempting to fly out of the brooder now. lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    She looks good! Such an improvement.
    Thank you for the update, I hope she continues to thrive, she's adorable[​IMG]

9. bananakey

Jun 22, 2014
    Denver
    [​IMG]

wanted to post another picture of Mamie because she's cute and hopefully to give hope to anyone who has the same issue. I'm still shocked she survived but thrilled she did. she's so sweet!!!!

10. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Oh my goodness!![​IMG] She is so adorable!
    What a sweet face.
    I am so glad to hear she is doing great. Looks like she may be slightly spoiled?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by