Skiddish hens

Crappie

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 29, 2008
My laying hens are spooked when I come around. They've always been well tended to and taken care of. I probably messed up by not handeling them much as small chicks. Now they are going on 8 weeks and run away when I'm around. As soon as I'm out of sigh they come running back to see if I brought food, water, etc.

My Jumbo Rock X's are friendly and social as can be. How's that for Irony
big_smile.png

Just keep trying. Bring treats for them and see if they will come closer after awhile. Just take your time and move slowly and they will come around. Trying talking to them when you have treats and to get them use to you. Good luck.
jumpy.gif

I've been talking to them since they were chicks. They perk up when they hear me. They also object when I come in the hen house or bring scratch.

The last few days I've been going and just sitting in their pen with them. They come around close but if I move they bolt.
I reckon it'll be easy to get the eggs once they start. All I have to do is open the door and they run
big_smile.png

Keep spending time, sit still and make them take the treat out of your hand very close to you. Grapes are a big deal here. From time to time you can try picking one up and holding her on your lap, talk to her and stroke her back. After a bit she will settle down. The more time you spend the better. It is harder when they were not handled a lot as chicks but still can be done.

Back
Top Bottom