skillet incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ashleym, Dec 26, 2011.

1. ashleym

ashleym Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2011
    oregon
    hello iam intrested to know how many people that have done the home
    made skilllet incubator and if it realy works and i need all the info to
    get it statred,i want to try and hatch some of my serama eggs but not sure if it
    will work, thank you

1 person likes this.
  2. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Never heard of it but now that you mention it it has sparked some ideas. Thanks [​IMG]

3. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    Ive only seen it in pics on google. But id love to know if it does work! Thanks!! Maybe ill do it if some1 figureas it out!

4. quintinp

quintinp Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Heard of it, and like the other person said, I saw pics on Google when I was searching for ideas for homemade incubators. I Would like to know how well they work, I really don't want one, just wanna see one in action. I would like how the top of it is all glass, you could see everything going on.

5. hlf1996

hlf1996 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    California
    I have not heard of this, but I wonder how a crock pot would work? Hmm.. I might have to try this.

6. ashleym

Oct 15, 2011
    oregon
    ok so, so far i got it set up what you will need is a kitchen skillet with glass lid,shot glass with water,bedding i used pine shaving about 1inch depth,a thermomotor,turn it on low or set it at about 99 daagrees wait 24 hours to make sure it hold the temp and humitity so far so good tomorrow will add my eggs
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    That's really cool. Are you going to open the lid to turn the eggs? It would probably be beneficial to you and the eggs to put them in an egg carton, and tilt the whole skillet to turn the eggs.

8. ashleym

Oct 15, 2011
    oregon
    ya thats one thing im not to sure of yet and thats turning them i half to turn them x3 a day morning,noon,night if i open it will let out the heat and humitity
    if i use a egg carton i will spill the water,hmm need to modify any ideas?

9. quintinp

Oct 22, 2010
    Southern Oklahoma
    Quote:Use a deep dish, and put a sponge in it. Just enough water to soak the sponge.

10. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

I never used the whole fry pan but I did wire the thermostat, that plugs in to a pan, to a light bulb. Put the whole thing in a aquarium incubator. Got 3 hatches out of it with a 80% hatch rate. Didn't cost me a cent. Just used stuff I had around the farm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by