1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Skillet Method Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by justinszoo, May 3, 2008.

1. justinszoo

justinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    When using the skillet method, do you take the temp from the top or the bottom of the eggs?

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Top of the eggs. Also it is recommended to put something in the bottom of the skillet so the eggs are not right on top of the heat source.

3. SusanJoM

SusanJoM Chillin' With My Peeps

And what are the temp fluctuations like?

Susan

4. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    I put a wire mesh grate that I homemade across the bottom so they won't be laying directly on it. I just wanted to make sure that I didn't end up with fried eggs. [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2008
  5. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:The temps will drop about 4 or 5 degrees and then the heating element will kick in. I've read that it takes the eggs 20-25 minutes to adjust their temp so maybe that is why these low temps are okay-they just aren't there long enough! I candled last night and have 10 doing great!

BTW-I'm watching for the skillet posts but, if I miss one when posted please feel free to PM me about it and include a link to your thread so I can keep track of it.

Last edited: May 4, 2008
  6. SusanJoM

Thanks, Farmer Kitty. So far your system seems to be working fine for me. I will PM you if I feel like I've gotten myself into trouble or need immediate help. I appreciate your offering to help. So far my questions have been general enough not to need immediate answers and/or I figured someone else might want to know the answer too...

Today I'm picking up a dozen more eggs, but THEY will wait for the 'bator which really should be here soon. Then the skillet eggs will go in there too and the skillet will become the hatcher for the 6 eggs that are in there now.....starting and ending in the skillet (and hopefully not fried anywhere in the process....)

Susan

7. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Let's not mention frying!

8. SusanJoM

Quote:You're right, that was highly insensitive of me, wasn't it....
    Sorry, sorry, sorry......[​IMG]

Susan

9. justinszoo

Mar 24, 2008
    NW Ohio
    Thanks for all the replies. I will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

10. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by