Skillet - My Pet Cornish Rock X

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by little_grey_bantam, May 23, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Alright, so for weeks I've been watching these darn Cornish Rock X chicks at Orshelns...
    The first week, I saw a few in the .99 bin, because they had been picked on (their butts were purple from medication lol).
    Second week, there were only 2 left... I promised I'd take them on my last day at school if they were still there...
    The last week, I went in and only one was left and on Thursday, I brought home "Skillet"
    He was alone and by himself and he's been a "pet"

I've decided I'll still eat him when he's ready, but I just wanted to love on him and let him know he's just not "pure" meat [​IMG] (I bet he'll be like a Kobe cow... he's SPOILED!)

Anyways, less than half a week into having him... he started spewing blood... from his butt!
    I wasn't exactly sure what to do and he was still happy dappy and running around... Day 2-3 on his bloody spews, he's beginning to look pale... I'm worried.
    Now it's another 2-3 days and he's a lot livelier. Not piggin' out, but eating. His crop isn't too full, but it does have food. He's a little pale, but less so.

Can anyone tell me if this has happened before and what is going on?
    I think he'll make it, but... I don't know!

I'm wondering if he didn't eat something he shouldn't have? He's feeding on 18-21% chickfeed... gets greens and a pinky mice from time to time (I do make him make jumping jacks for 'em...) and he's currently living on pine shavings (I've had 1000s of peeps on these, he's the first to poo blood!).

2. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    he's got cocci, go get some medication to add to his water; sulmet or corrid. Corrid is supposed to be better but I have had better luck with sulmet.

3. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Songster

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    EEP!! He's got cocci?! O.O

Thanks!

He's perkin' up; I tried some natural remedy and this other med stuff (can't remmber name) but I'll get that too!!!

Anyways, he's perked up and running around! [​IMG]
    And pecking at me! Thanks! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by