Skim goats milk? cheese help needed

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by RockyToggRanch, May 12, 2010.

1. RockyToggRanch

RockyToggRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I'm finally at weaning age for the orphan kids. I have milk to spare as they get their 1/2 bottles this week. I'm reading soap and cheese recipes. It seems that I need cultured buttermilk for most of my cheese recipes. My mesophilic culture calls for skim or 2% milk. Dumb question....

How do I skim goats milk?? Can I just ladle the cream off the top or do I need a seperator?

Should I use store bought 2% milk to make my starter batch? I hope so...I'm doing it now. [​IMG]

2. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    Goat's milk does not separate like a cow's does. With a cow, you can clearly see the distinction between the cream and the milk, not so w/ a goat. Goat's milk is homogenized, so you will need a separator.

For my cultured buttermilk, I get a pt. at the grocery store to use as a starter. I put 1/4 c. of the cultured buttermilk in a qt. jar and fill the rest of the way with milk. I give it a good shake and let it set until the next day (24 hrs.) You then put it in the fridge and use as needed. The culture can be used in the same way to make more.

I have never used the mesophilic, so for that I can't say.

Good luck.

3. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    my quart jar of milk flipped sideways in the pan of boiling water:( second attempt.

4. homesteadingcowgirl

homesteadingcowgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    It's one of those days!! I am making my cheese in the OVEN!! Looooooong story! [​IMG]

5. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    My mother requested "squeeky cheese". I'm hoping it's the same thing as basket cheese:/

I would love to find a recipe for cheese curds...like you buy in the store...

6. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Quote:I thought cheese curds were the squeaky cheese? I love cheese curds. I can't find them in the store around here darn it....[​IMG]

7. RockyToggRanch

May 22, 2008
    Upstate NY
    we have a cheese store here that ships anywhere. They have great cheese curds.

I guess I'll experiment with some different recipes...

8. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    http://www.cheesemaking.com/

They
    talk about cheese curds on the left click on the link that says "curds help" here on this site. They have a bunch of information that is helpful.

ETA: I will do a google search for cheese curds I can buy.

Last edited: May 13, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by