Skimpy Christmas

warmfuzzies

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Boondocks, Colorado
We are not normally ones to go all out for Christmas, we have never been able to. We normally try to spend about $20-30 for each child, including stockings. Well, this year, even that is a stretch.
roll.png
We are not doing any gifts for the extended family, and I am trying to come up with some things we can make for them and for our own family, to add to the few things I got on clearence earlier this year.

This is the place to put all of your ideas for cheap Christmas gifts and parties! Lets make a list of the best ideas on BYC!!
big_smile.png

Here are some of my ideas:

Tutu for the little girls with leftover toile from my wedding (Yes I keep some things forever. 7 years
roll.png
)
Cape for the little boys to play super hero
Cookie or soup mix in pretty jars for MIL and GMIL
File Folder games for the kiddos
Pillows with leftover scraps of material
Homemade Bow and Arrow for little boys

I do not have any good ideas for men and babies. I have been searching the Internet..... We are also planning a lot of fun easy activities for the kids to do with us, they like that better then presents anyway. I also want them to make things for their family, because they all need to experience that Christmas is about giving.

We can homemade speghitti sauce each year. Last year we gave out a pint of sauce with a box of noodles. This year it will be peanut brittle and Christmas cookies for the family.

We stopped buying for the older people and just concentrate on the kids now. I have saved some money back this year for Christmas from my Tax Refund.

I would like to see some good ideas for gifts that would cheap. I'm making my MIL candles.

My kids love to color and do crafts. So this year I am making them tote bags from scrap fabric. In the bags I am putting crayon rolls I'm sewing out of more scraps, notebooks I bought at Staples a couple years ago for a penny apiece (still have a huge stash of these!), a drawstring pouch with things inside like pom-poms, popsicle sticks, googly eyes, a glue stick, etc. I'm also making them winter p.j.'s out of closeout flannel from last winter, and bracelets woven from scrap fabric and decorated with buttons from grandma's button collection. We're broke this year, too! Besides they get so much from the grandparents they are spoiled as it is!

My nieces and nephews are getting a drawstring pouch made from more scraps with a match game inside that hubbie is using wood scraps to cut little squares that I will draw cartoon animals on.

Hen_House_Rocks! :

My kids love to color and do crafts. So this year I am making them tote bags from scrap fabric. In the bags I am putting crayon rolls I'm sewing out of more scraps, notebooks I bought at Staples a couple years ago for a penny apiece (still have a huge stash of these!), a drawstring pouch with things inside like pom-poms, popsicle sticks, googly eyes, a glue stick, etc. I'm also making them winter p.j.'s out of closeout flannel from last winter, and bracelets woven from scrap fabric and decorated with buttons from grandma's button collection. We're broke this year, too! Besides they get so much from the grandparents they are spoiled as it is!

My nieces and nephews are getting a drawstring pouch made from more scraps with a match game inside that hubbie is using wood scraps to cut little squares that I will draw cartoon animals on.

Wow, my DD would LOVE that tote! I will have to think about making it, maybe for her birthday, though....​

My parents buy things we can use in the future. Like, for instance, this year I'm getting a Staples giftcard for university supplies and a Greenhawk giftcard for horse supplies. Not cheap, but useful.

We live in pines. So I make wreaths and other crafts out of natural stufg to give away. You can use just about anything from nature to make stuff. Acorns, pinecones, pine needles, seeds, nuts, leaves, twigs, rocks, feathers, dry grass. You get the picture. Top off with little homemede bows, maybe. And it's great fun for the kids.

I also make homemade jam and give that away. I also make tomato juice but tend to keep that.

You can make jelly from store boughten juice from the dollar store. You don't need fresh squeezed juice. It makes things a lot easier and there are a lot of choices of juice out there.

We also are very lacking funds this year, since I sew I am making sleep or lounge pants for everyone. I found lightweight fleece on sale at Joann's this weekend for $1.49 per yard and bought themes I thought people would like, My dad is getting John Deere, Sister a Flowered Print, Husband Pool Themed
I also make goodies for people and have done cookie mix in jars. I used Large Canning Jars I had on hand and cut pretty Christmas Fabric the size of the seal, laid the Fabric on the seal and put the ring on, then tied a ribbon around, added a card with recipe/directions. Last year I gave away some things I had canned. Personally , I think something HandMade is more personal.

I also make Custom Ornaments, can take any picture and put in a clear Ornament, makes a very personal gift!

1845_ornament1s.jpg

I am 35 years old and we are going through a tough financial spell, my Parents know this and so they went and bought me a 50 pound bag of Mazuri rat food to feed our 8 rats! YAY!!!! I soo appreciated it and so do the rats! lol

Great ideas Michelle! Boys LOVE capes!

big_smile.png

Any baked goods are always welcome. When funds were tight I used to bake zucchini bread and give out loaves of that.

Fordmommy, I love those fresh pine wreaths. The smell is fantastic.

Lockedhearts, lounge pants are something I buy every year. I used to get them at a discount because I worked seasonally at JCPenney. Since I don't anymore, I might actually have to break out the sewing machine!

I have also made beer bread mixes and "bottled" them in big beer bottles, but I already had the capper on hand. The label had the mixing and baking instructions. You could probably jar that or put it in a clear bag tied with a ribbon and stuff it in a beer mug.

Keep the great ideas coming!

Back
Top Bottom