Skin and eye problem with older birds - pictures, please help! Corzya

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlueMoon, Feb 9, 2008.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Remember the bantams I rescued with the super long spiraling nails and scaly leg mites?
    Both of them recovered and were moved in with the other bantams. Neither moved around much. Yesterday, I noticed both have this weird skin moult going on and each has one eye nearly shut. Could this be Corzya or something else just as bad?

[​IMG]
    I put mineral oil on her face to try to lubricate the peeling skin.

[​IMG]

Also, two older Amerucanas who also don't leave the perch much and are in a different coop have similar problems, with even puffier eyes and looks like their faces were dipped in grain.

I'm really worried this is something super contagious. Any ideas?

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

It's not Coryza because you could smell it...
    It could be something left over from the mites...or Favus, which is a fungus.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Do you have them on a nutritional/vitamin supplement? If not I really suggest you do so ...I think in this case, AviaCharge 2000 would be particularly helpful as one may surmise their nutrition may not have been optimal. (You can Purchase this at McMurray Hatchery or Strombergs online) Here is an article concerning a few :
    http://www.wattpoultry.com/eggindustry/article.aspx?id=7472

4. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    That looks like Dandruff.

Maybe you can put a bit of dandruff shampoo on a wet rag and scrub thier waddles. Then rinse. [​IMG]

5. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    I'll try the supplement - Thanks. Also, should be concerned about this spreading to the rest of the flock? Favus looks rather nasty.

And the Amerucanas look even worse, with really puffy eyes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by