Skin Care

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Twisty, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Twisty

Twisty Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    Hi - just after some advice regarding skin care for my Rooster - He survived an attack by 2 Wedgetail Eagles yesterday afternoon - very luck boy AND save his girls. A true Hero!!
    He has lost a fair amount of plumage over his left leg/rump area and now has a bald patch 10cmx10cm approx. The area is covered by his wing so Im not concerned about sunburn (I'm in the southern hemisphere -summer is coming) and its out of they way so the girls won't peck at if. There are 3 very minor superficial scratches - no blood drawn on the denuded area. So do I need to treat the skin with anything in particular or just keep checking for signs of infection and let his body do its thing and eventually grow new feathers?

Regards

Twisty

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    You could clean the area with betadine (the stuff that dentists give you to rinse ones mouth) or TCP or other disinfecting agent and then smear vaseline over the area - less hassle than treating any resulting infections at least.

CT

3. Twisty

Twisty Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2015
    Good thinking - thanks [​IMG] Prevention is always the better option.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by