1. elfkin2001

elfkin2001 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    I have several hens that were severly overbred (rescued birds) and as a result have what seem to be permanent feather loss. None of my flock has yet to molt and even with rehabilitation in a Roo free environment they aren't regrowing. Lately I've noticed on a good portion of hens that their skin is getting rather irritated, cracked, bleeding etc.

They aren't being pecked at (any pecking the results in bleeding I remove that bird until they have healed). They don't have lice or mites, and the fly population this year is rather minimal. I'm thinking it may be a mixture of sun, and irritation from foraging through the forest.

In any case I'd like to find something to treat and soothe their skin. I was looking up Blu-Kote on a recommendation from a fellow poultry owner, but I read that it can't be used in a meat chicken population (I mix my meat and egg layers).

Any suggestions? I am almost to the point of just putting Sunscreen/Lotion on them! [​IMG]

2. elfkin2001

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    Anyone?? Please?

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

When I asked about skin, some mentioned aloe vera.

I have used a zinc oxide based sunscreen for mine. Not sure about healing power, but it helps with sun.

bump

4. sammi

sammi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2007
    Southeast USA
    I'd try and restrict exposure to the sun during the afternoons and try to keep them confined for a few days.

give extra protein, such as cooked egg, higher protein feed mixed with layer feed, or a small amount of canned cat food (beef) or dry kitten feed.
    a bit of plain yogurt might help also.

give poultry vitamins
    restrict foraging and treats.

what are you feeding?

try using Bag Balm on skin.

poor feathering could be genetic.
    but it doesn't hurt to up the nutrition and see if it helps.

5. elfkin2001

Jul 29, 2008
    Kansas
    Thanks Sammi!

I did go last night and bought a jar of bag balm. I used it on the two "worse" hens to see how it does. Once I got up close it does look like a sunburn, and one of the girls started to purr once the cream went on. I am figuring the skin is so bad that the feathers can't come back in.

I've been cooking up some eggs regularly and supplimenting their feed. I have some left over cat food from when I switched brands that I can mix in. We feed a 20% layer/grain combo plus fruits, veggies, and yogurt. They also free range during the day. I'd really hate to restrict them from that, but I can try a test run over the weekend.

I will have to look into the poultry vitamins. I already homefeed my dogs and suppliment their meals with vitamins. Do you think I could incorporate those into the poultry feed?

6. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    Aloe Vera Gel - Both the translucent inner pulp as well as the resinous yellow juice from wounding the Aloe plant is used externally to relieve skin discomforts and internally as a laxative. Some research has shown that Aloe vera produces positive medicinal benefits for healing damaged skin.

Food Grade or Medical Grade Lanolin - often used to produce Vitamin D3, which would be very helpful for healing.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Maybe you could make (or buy) them some of those chicken aprons to prevent further sun exposure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by