1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skin color gene

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by AHappychick, Jan 29, 2009.

1. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    ok I mentioned it in another thread but how would one go about getting the black skin of a silkie on a larger mixed bird? Would I just breed silkie roo with a larger chicken and then breed those that come out with black skin and so on? I am sure it is much more complicated, how is the skin color gene carried how often does it get passed down?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    whats the aim of the project? Are you trying to breed giant silkies?[​IMG]

3. Hi!
    Yes, the first cross to a Silkie will work (unless you have another dark-skinned breed to work with) --- a percentage of those chicks will be dark-skinned.
    Then just keep on crossing those dark-skinned off-spring back to *whatever breed* til you get the size and other traits you want to see.
    Good luck and have fun!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    yes I would love giant silkies lol Really I would like to work on a breed for processing that has the black skin like the silkies but on a bigger frame. does that make me horrible [​IMG]

5. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    don't you have asians breed like kedu or cemani in the states?

6. blackdotte

blackdotte Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2008
    The first cross will give dark skinned pullets & light skinned cockerels. Don't cull all the cockerels as they are carrying the dark skin gene.
    Mate brother & sister, and/or cockerel back to Silkie.
    There is a dark skinned/fleshed broiler breed called the Ac
    David

7. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    Quote:You know I dont know I never looked...

8. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    really its called AC who has them, I guess I should have researched this better first....

9. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I am just wondering why anyone would breed a chicken to produce blueish gray meat ? ? ? ?

10. chickenbuddy0

chickenbuddy0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    southwest Illinois
    What is this (AC) breed you are talking about??? Anyone have pictures? Now, you have me interested. I really like the dark skinned birds myself---- but--- not for eating!!! Tell us or show us these (AC) birds. I can't wait !!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by