skin condition

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mcmurray, Aug 15, 2013.

1. mcmurray

mcmurray New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    My hen has developed white scaly skin around her face and red blood shot eyes. Any idea what this is and how I can help her? She has two new chicks to care for and I can't lose her....

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    A photo is pretty necessary for a diagnosis, but even then might not reveal the cause. Best wishes with her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Since you have less than 10 posts you may not be able to post pictures yet. Can you be more descriptive of the conditions? It is just on the face, or is it on the comb or anywhere else. What color are the spots--brown, black, or chalky? Here is a picture of favus, a fungal infection treated with Lotrimin. Click on this link and look at post # 3: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/681562/favus

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    x2
    Sounds like favus.

5. saddie

saddie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 21, 2012
    Indiana
    Ck her vent rectum for small bugs clear in color. Use pedilyte to strengthen up with foods that she will est in front of you. Mine had same thing. I am trying to find vet. Did ck a site of a women who has you ck vent. Hole where she lays eggs. Sure enough bugs very tiny crawling . Strengthen her up with good tomatoes make sure she eats not just pecks. If caring for babies not sure if spray will hurt them? CleAn out bedding . I bought cold aloe organic gel keep ref in freg . After spry dried rub itching hot areas trying to find vet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by