Skin Disease in a Three Week Old Chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DurangoChickens, Jun 22, 2016.

1. DurangoChickens

DurangoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Durango, CO
    [​IMG]
    I have this three week old Black Australorp Chick, and yesterday I noticed that she had some bald spots on her neck
    and and sides below and on the underside of her wings. So when I picked her up to look and see what it was and if
    I could see any small bugs suck as Lice or Mites. I can't see anything and I was just wondering if anyone else could that maybe has more experience with chickens?? If anyone has any ideas as to what this could be and if it can be spread to the other chicks please let me know. If amyone think that it could possibly be spread to the others and would cause them to die please let me know if you have any suggestions as to what to do with this chick. Should I separate this chicks from the others??

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Have you observed any of the others picking/pecking at her fluff?
    It's hard to tell, but it looks like some of it may be due to picking. The rest is most likely fluff loss because she should be starting to feather out.

Watch your chicks and see if any are pulling/tugging at her, if you do then you can try some pick-no-more product to see if that helps.

3. DurangoChickens

DurangoChickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 10, 2016
    Durango, CO
    I have been watching them most of the day, and I didn't notice any pecking other than a few random ones when they were laying down early this morning.

4. mbailey78

mbailey78 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2015
    In my recent hatch there were black chicks with bald spots and even worse than the one in your picture. Their feathers grew out fine. So hopefully yours will too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by