1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

skin disease??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tobit, Jun 17, 2016.

1. tobit

tobit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I was holding my rooster this morning and whilst looking through his feathers I noticed some very odd patches on his skin, they were circular, and a dark purple colour. They were raised from his normal skin like a volcano with some white crusty bits on it, at the top of the "volcano" there was a small white patch with white furry fluff (looked like white hairs). the whole purple patch felt pretty hard and I could actually feel one on his leg through his feathers as a hard lump. He has 3 of these (maybe more) ranging from 0.5 to 1.5 cm across. Any idea what this could be? I'll try to get some photos of them tomorrow morning

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We will look forward to seeing pictures. Was he vaccinated for Mareks disease? He could have some type of injury or peck wounds, but it could possibly be the skin form of Mareks disease, or something like fowl pox.

3. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    No he wasn't vaccinated against marek's to my knowledge (I've owned him since he was 12 hours old). Hmm that could be true, but he has at least 3 of these, 2 on his neck (one on the back and one to the side/near his crop) and one on his leg, which would make it very unusual if they are wounds?

I will post photos tomorrow morning (morning in UK time lol)

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    [​IMG]
    Mareks disease

The photos below are of fowl pox:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    I've tried to take some photos of the affected area, here they are, thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK

These both don't look quite the same as what my rooster has, but I've had a look at all sorts of chicken diseases and couldn't come closer than these photos either!

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I can't see that well to help you identify anything. Could they be peck wounds that have abscessed, or could there be ingrown feathers? The purple spots are puzzling. Would it be possible to trim feathers around one of the lesions to see it better?

8. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK

Yeah it's very hard to get a good shot through the feathers! Great idea, I'll trim some feathers away and try and for son better photos!

9. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Here are photos after I trimmed around one of the areas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. tobit

Jan 1, 2014
    UK
    Its very hard and feels like a solid cone shaped lump in his skin, the white top is very fluffy and just feels like fur

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by