Skin Disease

drl212

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 12, 2007
Hi Everyone,

Need some help here. I've had this chicken for almost 5 months now. She's probably a little over 6 months old. She's had this skin condition on her face for all that time. I had her to the vet who thought it could be mites. So we've been giving her ivermectin shots every two weeks.

She has been growing feathers through this white scaly stuff on her face but they are pretty fragile.

I thought mites would be all over her body. But her other feathering is beautiful. She's also in a brooder with another 6 month old bantam polish. This one has not been affected in the least. I thought mites would be contagious.

Has anyone seen this? Have any thoughts?

Thanks!

DSCF0007.jpg

DSCF0003-1.jpg

DSCF0001-1.jpg

Wow...do chickens get mange?? Poor little one. You said she is eating and drinking well?? How does her poo look? ok?? Maybe you need a second opinion...from another vet.

Hi,

She is eating and drinking well. Continues to gain weight at each vet visit. Her stool/urine output is fine. No problems there. Its just this skin problem around her face....makes no sense to me why it isn't spread across the body...

I wish there were another bird vet around that I could try, but there isn't.

Thanks for your reply.

WoW!! Poor thing! The closest thing I've seen to that is the "naked neck" breed listed on FeatherSite! But they aren't scaly looking...just nice and smooth! Hope someone here can help!! Good Luck!
fl.gif

You can try Vet-Rx. Take a q-tip and rub it all over her head, beak and any area you think is affected. Vet-Rx is oily and will smother the mites if there are any. It also smells good. You can order it online or I have seen it at many feed stores and co-ops. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom