Skin disorders on duckling

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jessgaring, Sep 27, 2012.

1. jessgaring

jessgaring New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    I am new to owning ducks and recently one of my nine ducklings has started getting a red rash on its head and back also it seems to be balding. It is the runt of the litter and the others all seem fine can anyone help me

2. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

It might be easier to help if you could post pics. How old is it? Ducklings go from cute, fuzzy things to ugly ducklings to beautiful creatures as adults. They will lose pin feathers and some will even go bald until their adult feathers grow in. It could also be one of the others is picking at it.

If you post pics we may be able to help better.

3. jessgaring

jessgaring New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. jessgaring

jessgaring New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    the photos are not very good he is not very photogenic and im not the best photographer I think they would be about 2weeks old I rescued these malards of the highway after there mother was hit

5. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah it's very hard to see with the small version of the photos but from what I can tell, it's just baby skin peeking through. I see that often with ducklings and some chicks. It's nothing to worry about =)

This is my call duckling about the same age when he had the same thing:

[​IMG]

It's like when you get a sunburn and after a while your skin starts to peel. It's kind of the same idea. Before you know it that baby of yours will have adult feathers and you won't even know that patch was there!

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    That was so sweet of you! [​IMG]

7. jessgaring

jessgaring New Egg

Sep 27, 2012
    thanks for all your help a huge relief to here its normal and Miss Lydia I couldnt help myself they nearly got hit a few time walking across the road by themselves so many people kept driving but I couldnt do that good to know theyre all healthy and happy

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    It's wonderful.. love happy endings

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by