Skin Disorders

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Camillachookie, May 6, 2017.

1. Camillachookie

Camillachookie New Egg

May 6, 2017
    Hi We have a couple of Red Shavers, nearly two years old now. I'm southern hemisphere so we are in late Autumn and they did a wee bit of a molt last year and this year one of them has been having issues for some months. First her feathers turned grey on her breast. We trimmed around her vent, dusted her with DE and the same treatment for her mate despite her being in good condition. Then we scrubbed and cleaned the coop. I might add no sign of mites or lice on her or the coop. She is perky, eats well, comb is red and stands up. She is definitely lighter and thinner than P who is not molting and looks good. Camilla is now losing feathers wholesale, Is this normal? Does she have a skin condition? Is it protein imbalance? We give them mash from a local supplier with extras (black pudding, cheese, etc occasionally), Would good quality cat food help? Help please

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos?

From your description it sounds like she is molting. It starts at the head and neck then progresses downward. Molting is hard on them so giving some poultry vitamins is helpful (Poultry Nutri-drench or similar), they can also benefit from extra protein like egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. Chickens that are molting usually don't eat as much either, so making sure they have a nutrient rich diet during this time is essential.

3. LyonsZoo

LyonsZoo Out Of The Brooder

Can someone tell me what this is on my 1 year old EE? Noticed her pecking at it. She has been sick and on antibiotics. It is hard. 0522171544d.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by