1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    I have a white leghorn about 3 weeks old and about a week ago developed a raw rear end that is now scabbed over. It looks like it's healing on its own and feathering back in. Today I was examining it and under one wing the skin looks like it's peeling away from it's chest. Just a small patch. Does not look like it's trauma.

The chick doesn't act sick or abnormal compared to the other chicks. It's a pretty fiesty chick, eats and drinks well. Is very active.

Is this some sort of skin disorder?

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Have not heard of this, maybe someone else may have an idea though. Generally I tend not to worry unless they stop eating or look sick.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    keep an eye out on that patch under the wing...if it turns blue then report back here.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  4. Flycropper

Flycropper Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Sure will. Thanks.

I did take a closer look at it's vent. The chick is discharging a clear (yellowish?) liquid. That's what is causing the raw area. That coupled with the skin peeling away under its wing are odd symptoms. Other than that, it's an active growing chick.

I'm also keeping a very close eye on the other chicks to make sure this isn't something that will spread.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by