skin & feathers torn away

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by YahKheena, Oct 14, 2013.

1. YahKheena

YahKheena Out Of The Brooder

Mar 9, 2013
    my 6 mo chicken has her skin and feathers tore but still intact from her neck, not really sure what to do... I sprayed blue coat on and isolated her in a covered dog crate. Not sure what else to do. Almost all of her back neck is exposed. What should I feed her? water her? please help. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 14, 2013
  2. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    They is not much to do, but I would clean out the wound and keep her warm.
    Chicken skin is not very strong, so it is not suprizing that it got all torn up.
    Poor thing.[​IMG]
    I hope she gets better!

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would put some antibiotic ointment (nothing that contains any "caine/cain" ingredients, as those are harmful to birds) on the wound. The bluekote is good, too. Don't cover the wound with a bandage or anything like that, just keep her in a warm, clean place. Watch out for signs of infection (a lot of pus, discoloration, bad smell, etc.). If she does develop infection, you may need to use an antibiotic.

So the skin is still attached to the neck, but hanging off? I would perhaps let it dry for a day or two, and then (if you feel up to it), cut the skin away the help the wound heal. She'll more than likely eventually grow back the skin and feathers. Just feed her what you've been feeding her. I would put some vitamins/electrolytes in her water to help with the stress, but other than that, you don't need to do anything special.

Don't worry too much about her--chickens have a remarkable ability to efficiently heal from gruesome wounds. In a few months, you'll probably never know what happened. Good luck with her!

1 person likes this.
  4. YahKheena

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you so very much for responding quickly... I've applied bluecoat so should I also apply antibiotic ointment over it? or bluecoat is enough? Again thank you so very much!! Love this group of people so knowledgeable and compassionate!

Yes, the skin is still attached to the neck I kinda laid it back but it just flops to the side. I'll cut it off after it dries in a couple of day. thanx

5. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    The bluekote is probably enough. But I would apply something to her wound (whether it be more bluekote or antibiotic ointment) every day.

6. YahKheena

Mar 9, 2013
    thanx again will do [​IMG]

7. YahKheena

Mar 9, 2013
    *UPDATE* Dot is doing very well, healing up nicely... I guess being away from the flock for a few days confused the other chickens... the rooster chases her and the youngest australorp her sister pecks at her, poor girl. The two older australorps hang out with her so she isn't alone. At night we bring her in to rest in the crate. I think in a week or so I'll let her go back to the coop. Thanks again for the advice and encouragement!

8. BantamLover21

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm glad she's doing better. [​IMG] It will take a while for her to be accepted by the flock again, but eventually, she will be.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by