Skin Growing Over Poop On Foot!

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Coturnix Quail, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Coturnix Quail

Coturnix Quail Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    HELLO! Everythings gone well, and I'm left with 11 and I'm going to keep 6. But one of my very lovely females, the one with the tumor thing on its beak, has poo on her foot and it seems skin is growing over it!! I never really look at their feet that often, but when they do get poo stuck on it i usually wash it off, but here I never actually noticed the poo because it was wedged between he back toe and her front toe! Skin only grew over the top, but I really need to know if its safe to remove it and how?! Also I need nail clipping and beak clipping advice! Thanks!

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    It looks like you'll have to soak it, likely a series of times to remove the hard poop on her foot :O

I don't have experience with beak/nail trimming, it seems a dust bath wears them down as they peck and scratch in it, putting some finch seeds in there as a treat helps as well :)

Even birds I have gotten who had overgrown beaks have them break off on their own within a week from what I assume is the sand pecking?

3. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Thanks! I'll try it and see how that goes.

I already have sand in their cages, but I cant tell their beaks are overgrown because of all that clearness/white on the tips. Also their nails are getting pretty long and I have no experience with clipping nails, only beaks XD But I think It'll be quite easy avoiding the nerves because you can see them very clearly. Wish me luck!

4. microchick

microchick Overrun With Chickens

Are you sure you aren't looking at Bumble Foot? It will often present as what looks like dirt or poo dried on the bottom of their foot. Is the foot swollen? Red? any signs of infection or limping?

I agree, first thing to do is to soak the foot in warm water. I would add some Epsom salts to it. Soak for about 15 minutes, then clean the area well with a soft brush, examine the are, soak again. If the crusted top comes off and you see what looks like a crater filled with more crud, it's Bumble Foot. You will have to clean out the kernel. There are excellent articles on the forum about doing bumble foot surgery. Trust me, it isn't hard and the chicken tolerates it well. I had three chickens with it last summer and one had it on both feet. I finally traced it to briers mixed in with the hay I was using in their run and nesting boxes.

As for clipping nails. No biggy. Trim them as you would a dogs. Take off a little at a time and watch for a black dot in the center of the tone nail. When it comes in view, stop. Keep some styptic powder or corn starch on hand in case they bleed a little.

Good luck.

5. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    I'll make sure I soak it in warm water. Thanks! :)

6. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    I have issues. I soaked most of the poop off of her foot, but I saw that it was kind of deeply connected to her foot, and a small chunk of her flesh could be seen. I put it in a space with no dust or mess so that it wouldn't get infected. WHAT DO I DO?

7. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Does it look like bumblefoot? Google it for pictures and let us know :O

8. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    No. It doesn't look like bumble foot at all. What do I do? Do you want pics? Thanks.

9. Binki

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Yes, have someone hold the quail and someone take the pictures - use good light and hopefully somebody here has an idea :O

10. Coturnix Quail

Jul 3, 2016
    Ok, thank you. I'll have pics up tomorrow probably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by