1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Skin grown over eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SellackChooks, Nov 11, 2013.

1. SellackChooks

SellackChooks New Egg

Nov 11, 2013
    Hi All,

I wonder if anyone can help! My Serama cockerel managed to get into my Ayam Cemani pen and ended up having a bit of a scrap with the cockerel in there. He survived relatively unscathed, but obviously suffered an injury to his eye during the scrap.
    My partner soaked it with a warm wet cloth and the scab came away, but it looks now as though a film of semi-opaque skin has healed over the eye, which I can only imagine is affecting is visibility.
    Has anyone seen anything like this before and can offer some advice on how to treat it? It doesn't look to be infected, but obviously we'd rather he had his full eyesight.

Any advice would be warmly received,

Thanks,

Sarah and Charlie.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What you are seeing is possibly the nictitating membrane. Birds have 3 eyelids,upper,lower and a nictitating membrane,purpose is to protect and moisten eye. They can see through the opaque colored membrane.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by