Skin hanging from chick's neck....Quick Update & BEFORE Pics

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by craftymama86, Dec 1, 2010.

1. craftymama86

craftymama86 Chillin' With My Peeps

We found one of our chicks this morning with what we thought were just loose feathers hanging from it's neck but when we picked it up we found that it's skin had come off half way around it's neck. We have it put up away from the other chickens, especially since some of the other chicks were pecking at it. Should we put something on it like Neosporin??? It's 3 weeks old and healthy otherwise, we don't want to have to kill it. Please help??

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  2. craftymama86

Anyone??? Newer posts have been answered, why not mine? Please, someone help me??

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Clean it up real well. Use some iodine if you have any. If the skin is just dangling, then cut off the extra. If not try and flip it back in place. Use neosporin on the wound, and it should heal up good. Keep chick separated until it heals up. You can use some Blue Koat on it also to keep from getting picked at.

4. craftymama86

Thank you SO much for your help. I'm glad I can put Neosporin on it. I don't have any Iodine. Can I use hydrogen peroxide?

5. eggboy

eggboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    CA
    Keep the chick away from the others untill it heals completly or it will picked on and maybe killed.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  6. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

You can use that, or just scrub it well and apply the neosporin. [​IMG]

7. craftymama86

Thank you chickenzoo. My hubby cleaned it up and put the Neosporin on it with no fuss. The chick did really well. I think it actually enjoyed it, lol. Hopefully it'll have a quick recovery. Thanks again. [​IMG]

8. wasatusay

wasatusay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    South Carolina
    Don't use hydrogen peroxide it can hinder healing, if it is hanging down I would tape it or use small dots of super glue to hold the wound shut, mainly keep it clean and watch for any skin that dies (to clip off).

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    How old is the chick? How much skin are we talking here? I've had a Turken with a completely sliced open neck, and honestly - I fed her some yogurt, scrambled eggs, isolated her, and gave her some daily neosporin. Healed right up.

I'd cut some of the hanging skin if it is too much though.

Nevermind, saw the age.

I'd say neosporin should really do the trick.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  10. craftymama86

Well gosh, I hope we did the right thing. The skin that was hanging seemed to have dried and curled up though. I couldn't see how we could have glued or taped it back. My DH went a head and cut it off last night and cleaned it all up and put neosporin on it. It seems to be feeling better today. Chirping more than yesterday. We let it outside, isolated, which it enjoyed and I think was good for it. Here are before pics though. I'll try to get some after pics tomorrow. Sorry these are blurry.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After seeing the pics, how likely is it that it will survive? Do yall think it will recover ok?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by