Skin healing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by loopyclay, Sep 26, 2012.

1. loopyclay

loopyclay New Egg

Sep 26, 2012
    My chicken was attacked by a lizard almost a week ago. The lizard pulled off a chunk of feathers, skin and fat on the chicken's side. I took her to the vet and she had minor surgery to clean out and stitch up the wound. Since then though, two of the stitches came out and there's about 3/4" of fat showing. It's dried now and the vet doesn't seem too concerned at long as it doesn't get infected. The other part of the wound looks okay but it doesn't seem like the skin is coming together. Can anyone help me with info on how long it takes chicken skin to heal? Does this look normal? I'd appreciate any info/help. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. semo

semo Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    Hi. I've had this type of tear with my hens when an older rooster mounts them with very long spurs. It usually took my hens three to four weeks to heal the skin ,and, then there would still be a small scab. Isolating her where the sore can heal on its own is best and keep the neosporin handy. God Bless your hen.

3. Roosterlover5

Roosterlover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2012
    Poor little girl! Sorry i can't help.Sending a prayer her way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by