Skin Irritation?

Jan 28, 2020
received_391171418641835.jpeg
received_3519746434818232.jpeg
received_220442626225670.jpeg
received_154548186098774.jpeg

One of our hens has been looking peaked for about a week or so. I noticed she looked "off" so we caught her and found a bald patch on her chest. Our geese have been a bit of bullies lately so I really don't know if it was caused by them or if it's something else. She's pretty dominant though and scares the hens away, so I don't think it was them. Her face seems different and she just kinda looks miserable. Her behavior is normal though, part of the flock, rushes to feed when we feed them, etc. etc.

I noticed today her feet are a tad more pink? Mostly on the webbed parts. Another hen is also looking pink on her feet but nothing else similar to the sick hen.

Any idea what it could be/what we can do? We tried feeding her nutridench straight in her mouth (albeit only once), and have been putting it in their water on and off this winter for extra nutrition.

Thanks in advance!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Her behavior is normal though, part of the flock, rushes to feed when we feed them, etc. etc.
Then I'd not worry much.
How old is she, in weeks or months?
Is she laying?

Looks like maybe she's rubbed some feathers off of crop area while roosting.
What kind of roosts do you use?

When I have bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1609278942953.png

Jan 28, 2020
Then I'd not worry much.
How old is she, in weeks or months?
Is she laying?

Looks like maybe she's rubbed some feathers off of crop area while roosting.
What kind of roosts do you use?

When I have bird that is acting 'off' I isolate bird in a wire cage within the coop for a day or two....so I can closely monitor their intake of food and water, crop function(checking at night and in morning before providing more feed), and their poops. Feel their abdomen, from below vent to between legs, for squishy or hard swelling. Check for external parasites or any other abnormalities.

Best to put crate right in coop or run so bird is still 'with' the flock.
I like to use a fold-able wire dog crate (24"L x 18"W x 21"H) with smaller mesh(1x2) on bottom of crate under tray.
Then you can put tray underneath crate to better observe droppings without it being stepped in. If smaller mesh is carefully installed, tray can still be used inside crate.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
View attachment 2467733

I think she's one of our oldest hens at about 1 and a half or so. It's hard to tell because seven of ours are RIR and look very similar. I also don't know if she's laying. Or even if she ever has layed. We have no real way to know who in the flock is laying.

We use branches drilled into the side of our coop for roosting.

I'll check vent and abdomen first chance I get!

I'm in North West Georgia. It's been cold but not any different than the previous winter. And much warmer than other states, I know!

How can I check for external parasites? What would I be looking for?

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
We have no real way to know who in the flock is laying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

How can I check for external parasites? What would I be looking for?

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

I'm in North West Georgia
Please add to your profile...instructions above.

Top Bottom