Skin on Chicken turning greenish blue after attack

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Gogochickens, Feb 20, 2016.

1. Gogochickens

Gogochickens New Egg

May 25, 2015
    Four Nights ago, a opossum got in my coop and got at two of my chickens. Fortunately he was only in there a short time as I happen to hear them clucking at about 11:00. The buff orpington had a good attack on her leg and lost a lot of feathers and had a cut. I noticed the last two days her skin on the leg is turning greenish blue. She still walks on it fine and is eating well. Is it infected? Do I need to get antibiotics or is it a lost cause? Thanks.

2. Mutt Farm

Mutt Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi! So sorry that happened. Good that she's not limping! I would feel for heat, compared to the other leg and swelling. You could soak it and use vetracin or blue cote antiseptic. Hope she heals right up for you.

3. 007Sean

007Sean Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Your description of the wound sounds like gangrene has set in, which is a local death of soft tissues due to loss of blood supply. Probably also infection from the bacteria in the opossum's mouth. Try anitbiotics and topical cremes. Hope it gets better.

4. Gogochickens

Gogochickens New Egg

May 25, 2015
    Thanks. I'll give it a try.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could just be bruising.

6. Yrat

Yrat Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2016
    probably just bruising. chicken bruises can be pretty nasty looking, bright green and blue. As long as the open would is dry and scabbed over, she should be healing fine.

7. Gogochickens

Gogochickens New Egg

May 25, 2015
    Thanks for the advise. A little antibiotic cream on the leg and it has cleared up to normal color! Now for the feathers to grow back. :)

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by