Skin on hen's leg has gone deep blue!

Thebower

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2020
Heya, I discovered advanced bumblefoot on a two year old white Sussex just before going on holidays, so wasn't able to try removing it. I've just gotten back now after being away for two weeks (a friend has been feeding the chooks for me), and discovered not only is she limping badly now, but also the skin on one of her thighs is ludicrously blue/green! Picture attached. Could this be an infection travelling up from the bumblefoot, or something else?

Her leg doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch it. I'll do a procedure on her bumblefoot once I've had a quick rest, but just wondering if it's more urgent than that at this point...

Oh, and she has been broody since I left as well, which is why my friend wouldn't have noticed anything

Attachments

• IMG_20201107_151054.jpg
    IMG_20201107_151054.jpg
    457.9 KB · Views: 52
Her leg doesn't seem to be in pain when I touch it. I'll do a procedure on her bumblefoot once I've had a quick rest, but just wondering if it's more urgent than that at this point...

Oh, and she has been broody since I left as well, which is why my friend wouldn't have noticed anything

I am confused. The picture looks to be the front of the chicken as the feet appear to be facing forward - so this would be at the front of the bird, not the back end - and that looks to be near the crop. I'd say there's been some kind of injury or infection to the area and I don't think it has anything to do with the bumble foot. The bumblefoot may well be responsible for the limping, but I think the injury is separate. Can we get more pictures that better show where the injury is?

I agree with @Shezadandy that it looks like injury or infection. The green may be bruising, it's hard to tell. If that is on the lower breast it could be related to the bumblefoot indirectly - if the bird is not able to roost properly then it may be resting on that area either on the roost or the ground causing rubbing and irritation of that area. That can result in breast blisters or bumble breast, which is like bumblefoot on the breast. So you are going to need to clean and treat both areas, the foot and that. Getting the bumblefoot taken care of will hopefully help that area to heal, sometimes you can pad a roost to help alleviate the rubbing, or if she's sleeping on the ground then getting her to roost again. I cannot tell if it's mostly superficial or if it is deeper from the pictures, it does appear that the skin is broken and torn away. I've had some that were caught early and mostly surface irritation, some can tunnel/burrow in. This link has a pretty bad breast blister:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510
Here is one link that explains how it happens more, you can google for more:
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/breast-blister

Back
Top Bottom