Skin on Rooster's Leg is GREEN!!!!! ????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jessie84, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Jessie84

Jessie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Hi everyone,

Came outside to something concerning today. On Thursday, my three hens beat up on the new young rooster, even though they had been getting along for the couple weeks since they were integrated. They pecked the feathers off his feet and a few feathers on his leg/thigh area. There was some dried blood, so I put some Neosporin on it.

Yesterday I let them out in the morning and didn't get home to close them up until it was dark, so I didn't get a good look at the rooster.

But this morning, I came out to find more feathers missing from that leg -- but no blood. The weird thing was, the skin underneath was green! (His skin is gray!) There is no odor, no visible wound, and he is able to walk. Is this bruising?? He does shake sometimes, but he is very shy. IDK if he's shaking b/c he's scared of me or b/c he's injured, or both. Please help!

The chickens have a very large run for just the four of them, with indoor and outdoor areas, and places where the rooster can hide out. I've ordered some anti-pecking spray. Any other suggestions/input is welcome!

Will try to get a pic up later, but now I have to go to work.

Thanks,
    Jessie

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Chicken bruises are green, so it is likely that your rooster's green leg is due to the beating by the hens. It should heal if given time, and provided that the rooster doesn't get attacked again.

The shaking is probably due to stress. If possible, it would be best to isolate your rooster away from the hens to give him rest until he has healed.

3. Jessie84

Jessie84 Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2014
    Thank you for responding! Glad to hear he doesn't have some weird "green leg disease"....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by