Skin or Pluck?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by NinnyGillaspie, Nov 26, 2011.

1. NinnyGillaspie

NinnyGillaspie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Huntsville, Tx
    Hubby culled our mean rooster this morning. His first time. He scalded and plucked. Says he's gonna try skinning next time. Any suggestions on which method is better?

2. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    Plucking is the only way to go. To skin is to sin...............

3. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    I've done both. I don't have any sort of plucking machine, so it takes me longer to do it by hand. Scalding is easy, but plucking can be a bit of a chore. Do you always eat the skin or do you cook skinless chicken?

Before we moved, I had 6-8 chickens to do and I needed to just get it over with and do it quickly, so I skinned all of them. Wow, was that so much easier! I did it all by myself and it took me a short afternoon. My boyfriend cut them up and we put them in vacuum bags. We still have a bunch in the freezer - but I've made one AMAZING chicken soup and we also made a delicious sautee.

4. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I prefere to pluck because I like the skin on when you eat it, just a personal preferance.

5. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I use a lot if skinless chicken so I think with the 18 I have to do the next few weeks, 12 Cornish x and 6 red broilers, that Im going to do some of each.
    I'm working by myself and only like to do a maximum of one a day. By skinning some of them I hope to make the chore less tedious.
    I'm trying to decide if today's will be skinned or plucked. I'll heat the water, since I need to clean the feet and see how I feel. We'll see. I'd prefer to pluck all of them but the one I did last weekend had a bunch of pin feathers, making for a very tedious time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by